cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP 1950 Voice VLAN setup

Dag79
Occasional Visitor

HP 1950 Voice VLAN setup

We are adding 2 x 1950 switches onto our network and I'm struggling to setup Voice VLAN on it.

We have 2 VLANs: VLAN 100 for DATA and VLAN 400 for VOICE. All users connect their laptops onto the ethernet port on the Shoretel230 phones. The phones are all patched onto the Switch.

I've setup both VLANs on the switches and tagged all ports onto the 400 VLAN.

My question is:

- Should I use this manual VLAN VOICE setup and configure QoS now? How do I do this properly?

or

- Should I just use the VoiceVLAN option on the Switch? If so should I remove the VLAN 400 from the VLAN area?

The other HP switches we have were configured on the terminal and I could just do this by setting up the qos priority option on the VLAN to 6:

vlan 400
   name "VOICE-BP"
   ip address 172.16.4.14 255.255.255.0
   qos priority 6
   tagged 1-52
   voice
   exit

Any help is much appreciated.

3 REPLIES
RogerKaram
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP 1950 Voice VLAN setup

Hello,

If you are manually configuring the VLAN on the phone, you should set the port to trunk or hybrid with the Voice VLAN as tagged and the data vlan as untagged or default vlan id. 

If you configure the phone as dynamic, to get the voice vlan via CDP (cisco) or LLDP, you should use the voice vlan command and enable lldp or cdp as appropriate.

Please note that the 1950s are comware based and the commands you sent should not work on them (ProVision commands, which are for the 2500, 2600, 2900 switches).

Best of luck,

RK

Dag79
Occasional Visitor

RogerKaram wrote:

Hello,

If you are manually configuring the VLAN on the phone, you should set the port to trunk or hybrid with the Voice VLAN as tagged and the data vlan as untagged or default vlan id. 

If you configure the phone as dynamic, to get the voice vlan via CDP (cisco) or LLDP, you should use the voice vlan command and enable lldp or cdp as appropriate.

Please note that the 1950s are comware based and the commands you sent should not work on them (ProVision commands, which are for the 2500, 2600, 2900 switches).

Best of luck,

RK

Thanks RK!

I've manually configure the VLAN and setup QoS on the VLANs, I've setup policies for 801.2p priority 6 on the VOICE VLAN, do you think that's the correct setup for manual QoS?

I'll monitor the calls for a while and see how it behaves, alternatively I might turn LLDP on and setup dynamic config of VOICE VLAN.

Thanks.

Dan.

RogerKaram
Occasional Advisor

Hello Dan,

802.1p you can use 5 or 6 for voice and you should be good, DSCP 40 or something of the sort. You should also configure Queuing on the port if you want to use Strict Priority (SP) to guarantee that traffic first, but usually you only need to do this on routers or smaller links.

Regards,

RK