6214 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP ProCurve 1810G-24 - SNMP Howto?

Pär-Ola Håkansson
Occasional Contributor

HP ProCurve 1810G-24 - SNMP Howto?

Hi!

We have a HP ProCurve 1810G-24 where we would like to be noticed when Loop-protection disables a port. Is this possible with SNMP? Traps? I tried telnet to port 161 but switch isn't responding.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged - Hp forum moderator

6 REPLIES 6
showneek
Respected Contributor

Re: HP ProCurve 1810G-24 - SNMP Howto?

Hi! This switch is only web managed so no CLI, no SNMP. The switch can only log the events and you can configure it to send log to some syslog server.
DSV12
Frequent Advisor

> This switch is only web managed so no CLI, no SNMP.
You are wrong - 1810G HAS limited SNMP support (readonly).

> I tried telnet to port 161 but switch isn't responding.
SNMP uses UDP but not TCP. So telnet couldn't help you :)
Bishop Clark 2

It doesn't appear that the 1810 supports sending alerts to an SNMPtrap daemon on UDP 162, so using SNMP to receive alerts when a port becomes disabled may not be possible via SNMP.

It appears your only solution, as mentioned above, will be the use the rsyslog to a machine on UDP 514. Most unix machines can be configured to accept this kind of log forwarding, almost trivially, but watch for host firewalls also on your host if you go that route.

I just came to clearly address the SNMP traps portion of the question, though.
DSV12
Frequent Advisor

Implementation SNMP in 1810G is very rudimentary and incomplete. It's readonly for a very limited number of variables (mistakenly in old versions fw some variables was possible to set by SNMPSET). No traps. No syslog.
DSV12
Frequent Advisor

Forgot to mention once:

http://h40060.www4.hp.com/procurve/includes/faqs/index.php?cc=ru&lc=ru&content=1810g#3-3

"Question 1: What type of SNMP functionality does the ProCurve 1810G Series Switches support?

Answer: The SNMP functionality is read-only and is used by ProCurve Manager to discover and map the device. SNMP cannot be used to configure the switch or send SNMP traps to a trap receiver."
DSV12
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, sorry, sorry! My big mistake:

> No syslog.

Of course, 1810G HAS support syslog (Diagnostics -> Log Configuration).

Sorry again.