Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP ProCurve 1810G: tagging

einar2
Occasional Visitor

HP ProCurve 1810G: tagging

I need a clue.

What I want to do:

I would like to have two VLANs (defined by different ports on the switch) which both use the same port to connect to my router (where it then connects to the internet).

I think I can define two VLANs (ports part of the VLAN untagged, ports belonging to the other VLAN excluded). However, if in any VLAN I mark the common port leading to my router as "tagged", I lose the connection to my router. My understanding was that with a tagged port VLAN packest are ... well tagged. So, the tagged port should be part of boths VLANs.

What am I doing wrong?

BTW, I use a little HP ProCurve 1810G - 8 with an awful webGUI :-)

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: HP ProCurve 1810G: tagging

Yep you're absolutely right, the frames will be tagged towards your router with 802.1q tags. That means that your router also have to understand and be configured with the corresponding .1q tags, otherwise it wont understand the tagged frames and you'll loose connectivity, as you've experienced.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

einar2
Occasional Visitor

Interesting. So, it could be that I searched on the wrong end.

My router is a CentOS server. I shall have a look.

Thanks!

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

CentOS, or any Linux, would not have a problem with tags, theres a software driver that supports vlan interfaces.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S