Web and Unmanaged

HP V1810-48G je009a spanning tree missing in configuration? general spanning tree questions?

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: HP V1810-48G je009a spanning tree missing in configuration? general spanning tree questions?

Yes, I wouldn't be daisy-chaining small switches off your network, scattered around the building either.

The cost difference between PoE & non-PoE used to be 2:1 15 years ago. Nowadays the difference should be minimal. Mixing switch types is a bit of a pain.

You should be abel to give yourself all the active ports you need using 4x 48-port switches in a stack, I think.

markm75
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP V1810-48G je009a spanning tree missing in configuration? general spanning tree questions?

@Vince-Whirlwind wrote:

Yes, I wouldn't be daisy-chaining small switches off your network, scattered around the building either.

The cost difference between PoE & non-PoE used to be 2:1 15 years ago. Nowadays the difference should be minimal. Mixing switch types is a bit of a pain.

You should be abel to give yourself all the active ports you need using 4x 48-port switches in a stack, I think.

Did you mean mixing is pain mixing POE and Non-POE or just generally, with different brands? IE: my idea of 5 regular 2920s and 2 POE ones (or the 2930Ms)..

A 4x48 stack would give me the ports needed for the workstations, but not for the servers/gateways/etc (i still think this number is around 75 max).. worst case 4 stacked, 3 not stacked.. the 3 being the server/wifi/hardware equipment, those just plugged into the stack as satellite switches and later on stack them perhaps when cost not so much a factor.

Question is.. if i do it this way, with 3 of the 7 not stacked.. do i really need them to be the same exact model, or is there another HP i can utilize for just those 3 (even if a non stacking variety), that way they are still compatible and not as far off the charts as the older dlinks i still have on hand.