7285 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP V1910-48G VLAN over multiple switches

Morne Fourie_1
Occasional Visitor

HP V1910-48G VLAN over multiple switches

Hi.

I have two v1910-48g switches and need some assistance in configuring 5 vlans which will be available over both switches for redundancy. It seems I should be using trunking and then tagging but I have no idea how to set it up. Or is there a better way to setup redundancy between the switches? I will have two servers with teamed network cards, one nic of the team going into one switch and the other nic of the switch going into the other. Any tips and ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Morris

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged - Hp forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

If I remember correctly HP 1910 only supports single ip management for its "stacks". If you want true stacking with MLAG (multi chassic link aggregation), you need at leats A5120-SI switches.

In your case, you could use some MSTP, manual: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02965327/c02965327.pdf

LorenzoCastro
Frequent Advisor

Hello, I didn't realize this series switch was not an e series switch, so I removed my previous reply.  With that said, your steps will be very similar, but you'd use the web gui for this configuration.  You'd want to create your VLANs on both switches, create a link aggregation to uplink the switches, tag vlans 2-5 over the link aggregation group.  The link aggregation for your NIC would be similar to the above steps, but depending on your requirements, you may or may not want to tag the VLANs on the NIC team aggregation group.  Keep in mind in this configuration your NIC team would not be load balancing using the link aggregation, but rather in a failover mode.   Here's a link the manual which has many tasks show step by step

1910 Manual 

Morne Fourie_1
Occasional Visitor

Thanks to everyone for replying. I will read through the manual and try to figure this out. Basically I just want to team my nic's and if one switch fails the comms can run over the other switch.

Another question if I may please. When I connect my cisco routers to on of the vlans I cannot communicate with them. I know in the past you had to use a crossover cable but I thought switches nowadays auto sense this and it is not neccesary anymore. Is this true or doe I still need to use a crossover switch? Or do I have to set the port on the vlan to something specific?

Morne Fourie_1
Occasional Visitor

Hi LorenzoCastro.

I created the vlans and created the aggregated link using port 1 and 48. How do I go about tagging the vlans to the aggregated link please.