5191 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP v1910 blocks NFS mounting

dagger_nn
Occasional Contributor

HP v1910 blocks NFS mounting

Hello.

It looks like HP v1910-24 switch prevents NFS mounting between 2 Linux hosts. 

We have a separated server room where we have a Linux server with NFS share. Also we have 2 rooms with client computers. Network outlets in one room are connected to HP V1910-24G Switch JE006A, outlets in the second room are connected to HP V1910-48G Switch JE009A.

From room with V1910-48G it's possible to mount NFS share from server room, but from room with V1910-24G it's impossible even if I'll use the same Linux host as a client. I got an error "mount.nfs: Connection timed out"

I've compared all settings in these two switches but there are no differences. We don't use VLANs or ACLs

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Pretty much strange, isn't it?

Is the NFS (Linux) Client you're moving between rooms really unable to ping the NFS Server from the room served by JE006A? is the same NFS (Linux) Client capable of doing ping to NFS Server when it is connected via the JE009A?

Is the NFS Server connected to what (3rd Switch)? what is your network topology (doesn't matter if it looks simple, tell us about that).

If so, how clients rooms' switches are interconnected to the NFS Server? ...via this 3rd Switch that has two downlinks, respectively to Switch JE006A and Switch JE009A?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
dagger_nn
Occasional Contributor

Hi, thanks for replying.

Our network topology looks simple but some parts of it are not controlled by me.

Our company rents 3 offices and space in server room. 2 offices are located to one floor and the third office is located on another floor in the same building. Network outlets from 2 offices on the same floor are connected to HP JE009A and HP JE006A switches. And then these switches connected to building owner's switch. Server room is located on another floor and connected with our switches by Fibre channel. The same situation with our third office.

I am able to run ping, ssh and another commands from NFS client to NFS server from any of our office. If I run 'showmount -e nfs_server_IP' I will get the right response.

First of all I asked building owner to check if the problem could be on their side. For the test they connected one of our network outlet to another their switch instead of our HP JE009A and HP JE006A switches and NFS mount was successful.

dagger_nn
Occasional Contributor

Hello, some new information.

It's possible to mount NFS share using only UDP protocol and NFS version 3.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

wrote: Our company rents 3 offices and space in server room. 2 offices are located to one floor and the third office is located on another floor in the same building. Network outlets from 2 offices on the same floor are connected to HP JE009A and HP JE006A switches. And then these switches connected to building owner's switch. Server room is located on another floor and connected with our switches by Fibre channel. The same situation with our third office.

You meant that Server room is connected to your two Switches via Fiber Optics uplinks?

I doubt Fibre Channel is involved here (which is another different thing IMHO more related to Server and SAN sides).

Your two Switches should have, respectively, each one at least one SFP transceiver for uplinking a Fiber Optic cable to your Server room...is that that you meant?

I doubt a normally configured Layer 2 Switch can interfere with higher level protocols such as NFS...there is something somewhere that is not configured as you think of...

I'm not an HPE Employee
dagger_nn
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

All our hosts and outlets are connected to HP v1910 swtiches. All our switches connected with each other using building owner's switches. Building owner's switches from different floors connected with each other using Fiber channel.

Your two Switches should have, respectively, each one at least one SFP transceiver for uplinking a Fiber Optic cable to your Server room...is that that you meant?

No, our switches have only RJ-45 ports.

I'm not completely sure that problem is not in building owner's infrastructure but we've made several tests to exclude it.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

OK, all of your Switches are uplinked using Ethernet copper cables to building's owner network (is, from tge server room standpoint, the building network a star topology without loops? I hope so), not using Fiber Optic ones as I presumed...that's totally reasonable if building rooms and flors are all near each others...but, please, forget about using "Fibre Channel" terminology...is wrong in this context.

So you have data flowing between your servers' room (servers) and your edge rooms (clients) that is traversing devices you do not directly control...that could be the point to start from to perform troubleshooting.

I'm not an HPE Employee