5025 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE 1920-16G Switch JG923A PROXY ARP

mkur
Occasional Collector

HPE 1920-16G Switch JG923A PROXY ARP

Hi everybody.

Just bought a 1920 16 port switch and been fiddling with it. On the brochures it says it has support for Proxy ARP feature but I'm unable to locate it. Anyone got ideas on how it works on this model?

BR,

-M-

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HPE 1920-16G Switch JG923A PROXY ARP

Are you referring to this statement on HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch Series QuickSpecs' Layer 3 services description?

Layer 3 services

• Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) determines the MAC address of another IP host in the same subnet; supports static ARPs; gratuitous ARP allows detection of duplicate IP addresses; proxy ARP allows normal ARP operation between subnets or when subnets are separated by a Layer 2 network
  • DHCP relay simplifies management of DHCP addresses in networks with multiple subnets

On the web management interface I wasn't able to find anything related to Proxy ARP...so it could be a sort of typo (if you look at HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch Series QuickSpecs...the statement above is exactly the same but then the Switch's web management interface has a ARP Menu with ARP Proxy configuration...at least reading what is reported on the switch user guide about "Common proxy ARP and local proxy ARP" features).

Would be interesting to verify if 1920's CLI (Comware 5.20) has proxy-arp and display proxy-arp commands with respect to what can be found on 1950's CLI (Comware 7.10).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
mkur
Occasional Collector

Yes, that is what I am referring to. I will take a look at the CLI once I have the chance. Will report back.

EDIT: CLI is new to me. On which level should I run these?

BR,

-M-

16again
Respected Contributor

mkur
Occasional Collector

Yeah, I concur. Maybe an HP rep could comment on this? I read the marketing material as it should be there.

EDIT: typo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

AFAIK on a HPE OfficeConnect 1920 - R1112 software release - CLI (system-view) session only arp related commands (arp and display arp) listed below are available:

[HPE1920]arp ?
  anti-attack  Specify ARP anti-attack function
  check        Specify ARP item check status
  detection    Specify ARP detection function
  static       Static ARP entry
  timer        Specify ARP timer

and:

[HPE1920]display arp ?
  X.X.X.X      Display ARP entry by special IP address
  all          Display static&dynamic ARP entry
  anti-attack  Display ARP anti-attack information
  count        ARP Entries count
  detection    Display ARP detection information
  dynamic      Display dynamic ARP entry
  interface    Display by Interface
  slot         Specify the slot Number
  static       Display static ARP entry
  timer        Display ARP timer
  vlan         Display by VLAN
  |            Output modifiers
  <cr>

There is no presence of any proxy-arp related command (like proxy-arp and display proxy-arp).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner