1752864 Members
4220 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE 1920S JL386A | VLAN, Trunks, DHCP Relay

LKad

HPE 1920S JL386A | VLAN, Trunks, DHCP Relay

Hello,

I'm facing a major issue with the new 1920S models.

I'm usually building vSphere hosts connected over trunk with vlan tagging.

The switches also have one trunk for the router/firewall with vlan tagging.

Sometimes it is necessary to connect another trunk port to a poe switch for Access Points or sth like, this trunk is also with vlan tagging.

So I upgraded the device to 2.08 and began to build my config.

I startet with the connectivity, the switch is configured with static ip inside my untagged mgmt vlan.
Gateway is the router/firewall with its interface ip.

After that I started to configure the VLANs, the the port port memberships for each port and trunk.

It seems to work, but it's not...sth. is with the dhcp relay wrong...

On the router/firewall there is a relay for the vlans set, that is pointing to the corporate dhcp server, on that there are the scopes, but no packet is arriving there.

So I started to get deeper inside the switch config, under the routing section I found dhcp relay.
No matter what I'm setting there, it is not relaying the requests.
At first I tried to set the global setting, I enabled the Admin Mode (?) - and added the corporate dhcp server IP.

After that I tried to setup the vlan/interface configuration inside the DHCP Relay section.
I'm trying to add the corporate dhcp server ip for the VLAN-XXX - once in the dropdown for the vlan-interface I could select all vlans i got, by now I can select only one and this is not the one which is not workling.

The routing section itself is a little bit confusing as well, since it is a layer 3 switch, I get the point, but this is some which I don't want to use, since I have a router in my network.
But here I needed to configure the function, that I can connect to the switch from another VLAN, than the MGMT? VLAN/Interface Configuration in Routing\Configuration section...

In the IPv4 Routing it gets more confusing, I configured the gateway in step one and did not configure any other route for the switch, but in the route table the switch has one route for one of the vlan-subnets which is pointing to the switch internal ip of this subnet as next hop and not the gateway ip address...so where is this route comming from?

I hope you can help me with the exact configuration of this device.

Thanks

Lukas

3 REPLIES 3
LKad

Hello,

I've just setup a J9776A in the same configuration and it works like a charm.

I will do a factory reset and leave the trunks beside, maybe it's working then...I'll post updates.

LKad

Without configuring the ports as trunks it works.

Can you please provide informations, how to configure vlan, trunks and lacp links correctly for the 1920S?

Thanks

Lukas

network_king
HPE Pro