Web and Unmanaged
1753535 Members
8130 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Officeconnect 1820-24g - having problems connecting to another switch while using vlans

SOLVED
Go to solution
parkam
Occasional Collector

HPE Officeconnect 1820-24g - having problems connecting to another switch while using vlans

Hi,

On the HPE 1820-24g I have the following connected ports:

1-12 PC and printers

21 - Connects to a Dlink dgs-1210-48(where another 30 pc are connected)

23 - Connects to a pfsense pc

Using only the default vlan(id=1) everything works with no problem.

In pfsense I've created a new vlan(id=30) and want to connect some pc on the hpe and dlink switch to his vlan.

On both switches I┬┤ve created the vlan with id 30(vlan30).

On the hpe-1820-24g :

• on port 13 vlan30 as untagged and vlan1 as excluded(port vlan id = 30). 
  • on port 23 vlan30 as tagged, and vlan 1 as untagged(port vlan id = 1)
  • on port 21 vlan30, vlan1 as tagged(port vlan id = none)

A pc connected to port 13 gets its correct vlan ip via dhcp from pfsense(port 23)

The pcs connected thru port 21 which are also vlan30 don┬┤t get and IP address while pcs on  vlan1 do. The port on the dlink which connects to the hpe also have vlan1 and vlan30 tagged.

This is the first time using vlans, am I missing some configuration on the HPE 1820-24g? Is there any way to know that the vlan30 tag from the dlink switch is coming through to the HPE switch?

edit:changed port 30 to port 13

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HPE Officeconnect 1820-24g - having problems connecting to another switch while using vlans

Are you sure port 21 on HPE should be tagged member of VLAN 1?

Try to leave HPE port 21 untagged member of VLAN 1 and tagged member of added VLAN 30 (consider that your Dlink probably has every port untagged on VLAN 1 as per default so it spoke with your pfSense firewall when VLAN 30 wasn't added to the picture yet)....that way you're transporting to DLink both VLANs, the VLAN 1 untagged and VLAN 30 tagged.

The same scheme should also be valid for port 23 from HPE to your pfSense Firewall (where you added VLAN 30) that is owning VLANs IP addresses (SVI).

On Dlink switch you need to move required access ports to be untagged in VLAN 30 otherwise all of its ports will remain in VLAN 1 as per default...and you must clearly assure that Dlink's uplink port to HPE Switch respects the same untagging/tagging configuration of HPE port 21 (which is downlinking to Dlink).

Other (access) ports untagging looks reasonable.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
parkam
Occasional Collector

Thanks for your reply.

I going to try your suggestion.

parkam
Occasional Collector

I followed your suggestion: 

port 21/23 vlan1 untagged, vlan30 tagged

the uplink port on the dlink has the same config as port 21 on the HPE. All pc on dlink's vlan1  ports go thru but those on vlan30 don┬┤t. 

On thursday I will be on location and will try diferent ports and another switch to see if the problem is hardware related or not.

You suggestion works. Feeling really stupid.

This company bought the HPE switch last week and they installed it by themselves, I asked them to maintain the connections(cable a to port a, etc)  as the previous switch, but somehow they connected the cable that should go to port 21 to another port.... I found the human bug while remotely connected and checking the port statistics on the HPe switch. One port had a lot more traffic than it should. 

I then tested the port vlan1 untagged, vlan30 tagged, and the pc got an ip address.

Thanks again for your help.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

I'm pretty much sure the issue is on the (configuration of) link's ports between the HPE and the Dlink switch. Can you share the latter one?

I'm not an HPE Employee
parkam
Occasional Collector

You suggestion works. Feeling really stupid.

This company bought the HPE switch last week and they installed it by themselves, I asked them to maintain the connections(cable a to port a, etc)  as the previous switch, but somehow they connected the cable that should go to port 21 to another port.... I found the human bug while remotely connected and checking the port statistics on the HPe switch. One port had a lot more traffic than it should. 

I then tested the port vlan1 untagged, vlan30 tagged, and the pc got an ip address.

Thanks again for your help.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, glad you worked it out! great!

I'm not an HPE Employee