6078 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help with mesh - V1810-48G (J9660A)

kd1750
Occasional Visitor

Help with mesh - V1810-48G (J9660A)

Hello,

We recently purchased four 1810-48G switches which we're hoping to implement as a small mesh in our environment (each switch will have a connection to each other switch). On each switch I have created the appropriate trunks with LACP and I'm using this for dual-links for each connection between the switches - I've attached a diagram to clarify what I mean.

The problem is that as soon as we connect the switches in the loop it crashes the network. We have loop protection enabled for all of the ports we're testing, although the trunks report that loop protection is disabled - is that not available for trunks?

We can skip the trunks and just have single links between each switch - loop protection works properly at that point, however this doesnt give us the bandwidth aggregation that we're looking for.

Can anybody assist me with this configuration? What am I doing wrong, or is this setup impossible with these switches?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. this thread has been moved from ProCurve / ProVision-Based to Web and Unmanaged - Hp Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

Enable spanning-tree on all switches.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

kd1750
Occasional Visitor

I don't see a configuration option for this - my assumption was that the 'Loop Protection' feature, as it is called in the config menu, is actually STP.
Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

No, Loop Protection is not equivalent to spanning-tree. It should be used on access ports to prevent a loop in a unmanaged switch or whatever to spread into the environment. Without spanning tree your topology will loop as you have noticed.
---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

kd1750
Occasional Visitor

Looked again through the menu but still did not find STP settings. Googled it and found that the 1810 series does not support STP: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?prodSeriesId=3963985&objectID=c02597134

So, that sucks. I'm pretty much out of luck for what I want to do then, right?
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Hi kd1750,

You are indeed out of luck; you need to eliminate trunks B and C from your plan.

Please note that the "Web and Unmanaged" forum (http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Web-and-Unmanaged/bd-p/switching-v-series-forum) is the place to ask questions about these switches.

Regards,
Paul