Web and Unmanaged
1753447 Members
5141 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to Enable Telnet and SSH on HPE 1920s OfficeConnect

Shaun_Arcus

I know I am dredging this up, but I figured a small workaround, you can download the configuration file, edit it manually, and then re-upload it.

yvpeg

Thank you for this information, i was confused

Claypool
Occasional Visitor

Just curious what lines you put into the downloaded config. I'm trying to figure out the same thing and any remote CLI access would be handy (seriously, how hard is it to bake that into the firmware?).

C-3PO
Visitor

1. download startup-config from GUI
  2. edit it, insert ip telnet server enable before configure
  3. upload it as startup-config in GUI
  4. reboot switch
  5. telnet into it with configured admin account and then enter sequence of commands to generate crypto keys and run ssh daemon
    enable
    configure
    crypto key generate rsa
    crypto key generate dsa
    exit
    ip ssh server enable
    ip ssh protocol 2
    write memory confirm
    quit
  6.  use ssh (look at step 5) and disable telnet if you need like
    enable
    no ip telnet server enable
    write memory confirm
    quit

I guess you can enable SSH for all recent OfficeConnect models 1820 or 1920S or 1950 the same way!
It would be more secure to use public key auth instead pwd auth, but theres no aaa authentication ssh login public-key in these switches. 

Daniel-T
Established Member

I was able to enable the Settings as instructed, but i couldn't get the startup config from the Switch:

C:\pscp.exe -scp -l backup -pw backupuser -2 192.168.1.101:startup-config C:\Switchconfigs\%date%\switch1.cfg

Connecting to 192.168.1.101 port 22
We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.70
Server version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.8
Using SSH protocol version 2
Doing ECDH key exchange with curve Curve25519 and hash SHA-256
Server also has ssh-dss host key, but we don't know it
Host key fingerprint is:
ssh-rsa 1024 xxx
Initialised AES-256 SDCTR client->server encryption
Initialised HMAC-SHA1 client->server MAC algorithm
Initialised AES-256 SDCTR server->client encryption
Initialised HMAC-SHA1 server->client MAC algorithm
Using username "backup".
Sent password
Access granted
Opening session as main channel
Opened main channel
Started a shell/command
Using SCP1
Connected to 192.168.1.101
Protocol error: Expected control record
Sent EOF message

Any suggestions?

The Script is working fine for old 1920 Switches. The file name at those ones are startup.cfg.

jsussman

Where do I insert this command? I was able to download the startup config but I don't have anything that says configure. I'm working with a default config out of the box. 

C-3PO
Visitor

It seems that there is no way to turn SCP on in cli.....
So, I would try to sniff HTTP traffic::

1. Download, Install and Run Wireshark to sniff HTTP traffic between PC and switch.
  2. Open webbrowser login to switch via HTTP and download config file.
  3. Analyze sniffed HTTP traffic and find the GET request that initiated download.
  4. Try wget/curl Linux utilities or write your own script (python/perl etc..) to download config the same way as your browserd do.

When (if) you succced, you can configure HTTPS on your switch and use HTTPS in your script instead of HTTP for security..

C-3PO
Visitor

Here is the head  of  "show startup-config" command output from my HP 1920S switch:

!Current Configuration:
!
!System Description "HPE OfficeConnect Switch 1920S 24G 2SFP JL381A, PD.02.04, Linux 3.6.5-a07f8920, U-Boot 2012.10-00118-g3773021 (Oct 11 2016 - 15:39:54)"
!System Software Version "PD.02.04"
!System Up Time          "80 days 10 hrs 22 mins 14 secs"
!Additional Packages     HPE QOS,HPE IPv6 Management,HPE Routing
!Current SNTP Synchronized Time: Sep 22 22:08:18 2018 UTC
!
hostname "SW003"
telnetcon timeout 30
network protocol none
network parms 192.168.99.18 255.255.255.0 192.168.99.1
vlan database
vlan 3
exit
ip http secure-server
ip http secure-protocol TLS1
ip ssh server enable
ip ssh protocol 2
sshcon timeout 30
ip telnet server enable
configure
sntp client mode unicast sntp server "pool.ntp.org" !clock timezone 3 minutes 0 clock timezone id 52 time-range Schedule-1 exit time-range Schedule-2 exit
danielkr
Visitor

Standard desktop Internet Explorer to manage the 1920S out-of-the-box.  The Edit and Save buttons will appear toward the bottoms of the information panes.    

If I find an answer to this CLI access problem I'll let everyone know.  But for your specific issue of not being able to save any changes, you're not going to believe this but you actually have to use NOT Chrome.  I could scarcely believe it myself.  Coming off of some of the HP 1910's, where I always had issues using IE to manage, this blew my mind.  Today, I even forgot this, and scratched my head for 15 minutes trying to reconfigure a relocated switch in Chrome and being unable to save the changes.  

I just had to post this because it really is a decent switch and it's a shame that some network managers will never realize its versatility because obviously none of us typically use IE or Edge to manage anything - not even Office365, where Chrome makes IE look like it is frozen.  

danielkr

danielkr
Visitor

Excellent, I was going to try this myself, it is nice to know my future self will find success!