1751894 Members
5109 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to: Trunk (HP 1810G-24)

Brad Morton
Occasional Advisor

How to: Trunk (HP 1810G-24)

Looking to set up a VLAN Trunk on our 1810G-24 switch.

Set up looks as follows:
Media Convertor--->Freedom 9 Traffic analizer-->HP 1810G -Port 24 (VLAN20)

Ports 22 and 23 are also part of this same VLAN. 22 links to our core router and 23 links to a server running NetFlow for traffic monitoring.

What we are going is setting up a Fiber (local Loop) from SITE-B to this location, so according to our Fiber provider a TRUNK is needed.

I'm wondering how to go about setting up the TRUNK without messing up the trunk on OUR end with out breaking the current fiber access.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Brad

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged - Hp forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Can you please specify are you refering to Trunk as link aggregation or Trunk as multiple VLANs passing through the link ?
Brad Morton
Occasional Advisor

Trunk as in multiple VLANs

Cheers
Brad
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

check the below link it has all the info.
https://my.procurve.com/knowledgebase/knowledgemanagement.aspx?wp=showarticle&id=1544

basically you need to configure the VLAN which is the default on the other side of the link on the other switch as UNTAGGED on the port connecting to that device, and all the other VLANs that you want the traffic to pass through the link as TAGGED on the port
Brad Morton
Occasional Advisor

hmm....Ok maybe I was mistaken. Perhaps it is aggregation then.

What would I do in that case?

Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

fyi, get this CLI ref guide, it shows how to configure HP ProVision, HP Comware5 and Cisco switches for lots of different functions, in a side-by-side comparison, so if you know one CLI, you see how to do it in a different CLI:
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/docs/training/HP-Networking-and-Cisco-CLI-Reference-Guide_June_10_WW_Eng_ltr.pdf

So, if you want link aggregation or 802.1Q, this guide will show you how to configure all of that :-)

hth...Jeff
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

1810 does not have CLI, it's only web managed.

Check page 80 from the below document for link aggregation.
http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/1810G-MgmtCfg-Aug2009-59925475.pdf
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

"1810 does not have CLI, it's only web managed.
"

Opps, forgot about that...
Brad Morton
Occasional Advisor

Well it's not so much the process of CREATEING the trunk it's understanding how to impliment it into our current network without breaking what we already have running.

Site A
VLAN 100 = ports 22,23,24
fibre-->Freedom9-->Switch Port24
Port23-->NetFlow Analyzer Server
Port 22-->Core Router

Site B
Our Router-->Cisco Switch(telco's switch)
They will iniciate the trunk at their switch which is then vlan'd wirelessly back to thier office, then it is sent out on fiber to our office. Which comes into our office on the same Fiber strand we are already using.

I believe they will be creating a new VLAN for this traffic which I have to add to our switch.

Now should all 3 ports at SITE A be put on this trunk or should only port 24 be the trunk?

Also do I create the trunk first then the second VLAN for those ports or do I create the second VLAN and then create the trunk?

Brad Morton
Occasional Advisor

No takers on this eh?