Web and Unmanaged
1752812 Members
5897 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to assign port to access particular internet in multi internet switch?

AlbertLA
Occasional Contributor

How to assign port to access particular internet in multi internet switch?

Hi, i am new to switch configuration. I have two switches, A and B as show in attached picture, switch A connected with internet modem and provide internet connection to switch B. PC at switch B need to access share folder pc at switch A for their share files.

I planning to subscribe another internet plan (internet B as show in picture) and direct plug in the new internet modem to switch B while switch B still connected to switch A for access to share folder and internet A. Because some user at switch B need to access to share folder and internet A.

May i know how do i assign particular port at switch B to access internet B only, and no access to internet A? Because some user at switch B are hogging internet A bandwidth and make internet speed slow down.

planning

6 REPLIES 6
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

hello

I don't think it is possible what you want to do with that setup.

You need different vlans and policybased routing to do what you are asking. So therefor you need an Layer 3 switch.

I don't know if you are using multiple vlans already? if you are using only 1 vlan, what you are asking is not possible.

AlbertLA
Occasional Contributor

@HP-Browniee wrote:

hello

I don't think it is possible what you want to do with that setup.

You need different vlans and policybased routing to do what you are asking. So therefor you need an Layer 3 switch.

I don't know if you are using multiple vlans already? if you are using only 1 vlan, what you are asking is not possible.

Hi, both switches is with default VLAN and pc using same ip range which assign automatically by switch. That mean i must buy another Layer 3 switch? Or i can configure existing switch to multiple VLAN to do the same thing?

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

You can try to configure vlan A for internet A en vlan B for internet B.

Then you put Users A in vlan A and UsersB in vlan B, Then they will use the correct internet.

But in this situation you will not be able to communicate between vlan A en B. So you will have to create static routes that say: destination vlan A is behind switch A en destination B is behind switch B.

AlbertLA
Occasional Contributor

@HP-Browniee wrote:

You can try to configure vlan A for internet A en vlan B for internet B.

Then you put Users A in vlan A and UsersB in vlan B, Then they will use the correct internet.

But in this situation you will not be able to communicate between vlan A en B. So you will have to create static routes that say: destination vlan A is behind switch A en destination B is behind switch B.

Hi, let say both switches assign with ip show at below, can i create static route in switch B using settings show in print screen below? And can i create static route setting in switch A too by changing next hop ip address to 192.168.1.5? Actually there is a firewall device located between internet A and switch A, it act as internet gateway and provide DHCP to both switches, do i need to include it in the static route setting and how can i set it?

switch A: 192.168.1.3
switch B: 192.168.1.5
firewall device: 192.168.1.1

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Ok that changes the topology..

That means you have a layer 3 device in your network. So before answering your question. How/where will Internet B be connected? also behind a firewall?

If you can provide a correct design it will be easier to assist you.

AlbertLA
Occasional Contributor

@HP-Browniee wrote:

Ok that changes the topology..

That means you have a layer 3 device in your network. So before answering your question. How/where will Internet B be connected? also behind a firewall?

If you can provide a correct design it will be easier to assist you.

Mostly Internet B will be connected to another new firewall device which not purchase yet, i can't confirm it because i still waiting for my boss decision. Sorry for the missing out the firewall device at Internet A, the model is SonicWall TZ600.