7196 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

How to perform a reset to factory default for HPE OfficeConnect 1950

Kirk Watson
Occasional Advisor

How to perform a reset to factory default for HPE OfficeConnect 1950

Specifically for the JG960A... 

It is not documented in HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch Series Getting Started Guide.  

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: How to perform a reset to factory default for HPE OfficeConnect 1950

Hello, 

The HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch Series User Guide has more information

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04657809

If you have access to the webUI you can go to Device -->Configuration: Restore the factory-default configuration. page 12

If you have only access via CLI (console or Telnet) you can use the command initialize, page 140

Usage guidelines
This command deletes the next-startup configuration file from the storage medium, and then reboots
the device with the factory-default configuration.
Make sure you understand the impact on the network when you use this command.
Examples
# Initialize the device.
<Sysname> initialize
The startup configuration file will be deleted and the system will be rebooted.Continue?
[Y/N]y
Now rebooting, please wait...

If you dont have access to neither interface due to forgoten password, you should connect to swich via console, reboot it and interrupt the boot in order to access the extended boot menu. Information about the boot menu is available in the release notes

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00017222en_us

page 44

Press Ctrl+B within 1 second (in fast startup mode) or 5 seconds (in full startup mode) after the
"Press Ctrl-B to enter Extended Boot menu..." prompt message appears. If you fail to do this, the
system starts decompressing the system software.
Alternatively, you can enter 4 in the basic Boot menu to access the extended Boot menu.
The "Password recovery capability is enabled." or "Password recovery capability is disabled."
message appears, followed by the extended Boot menu. Availability of some menu options depends
on the state of password recovery capability (see Table 11). For more information about password
recovery capability, see Fundamentals Configuration Guide in HPE 1950 Switch Series
Configuration Guides.

The menu should look like this

Password recovery capability is enabled.
EXTENDED BOOT MENU
1. Download image to flash
2. Select image to boot
3. Display all files in flash
4. Delete file from flash
5. Restore to factory default configuration
6. Enter BootRom upgrade menu

7. Skip current system configuration
8. Set switch startup mode
0. Reboot
Ctrl+Z: Access EXTENDED ASSISTANT MENU
Ctrl+F: Format file system
Ctrl+P: Change authentication for console login
Ctrl+R: Download image to SDRAM and run
Enter your choice(0-8):

Different options will be available depending on whether the password recovery capability is enabled.

Description of all options is provided on page 47

Options 5, 7 and Ctrl+P can be helpful in reseting the switch or logging in without a password. After bypassing console authentication you can use the command initialize the perform the factory reset.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Kirk Watson
Occasional Advisor

Thank you so much, I will give it a go.

I did seach on the model number, generic name, etc;  It woudl be nice if one could enter "JG060A" with possibly a serial and quickly find the relevant documentation.   I seached on several different iterations and kepts getting reams of Release Notes.  So I really appreciate the link to the Users Guide

Emil_G
HPE Pro

Here you go. This is Networking Support Lookup Tool

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/support/SupportLookUp.aspx

For Office Connect Switches like 1950 this tool wikk redirect you to the OfficeConnect Support Portal

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/OfficeConnect/

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Jan_MB
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for this reply, I'm having a similiar problem, although this seems to be related to settings performed before delivery of the JH295A - I cannot access the Web GUI, and trying to interrupt the (failing) boot sequence to get into Extended Boot Menu has so far not succeeded. Is it possible that PuTTY simply doesn't recognize the keystrokes?
Would appreciate any hint here.