Web and Unmanaged
1748034 Members
5283 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need help with VLANs on 1810G-8

Jarrod 3S

Need help with VLANs on 1810G-8

For some weird reason, I'm having a hard time trying to get this to work.

Objective is to segment up my existing network into 2, whereby machines on either side are not able communicate with each other.

The above should be fairly simple. Then comes the seemingly hard part - both VLANs need to be able to access the internet via an ADSL router (Cisco 877).

I've tried all sorts of permutations of tagged/untagged/exclude, as well as turning on port mode to trunking on teh Cisco - still no dice.

Will appreciate very much if any kind soul out there can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

P.S. this thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged - Hp forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Jarrod 3S

Hmm, I suspect the problem could be that I'm trying to create 2 VLANs with identical network address/subnet.

Given a scenario whereby I need to split an existing network into two VLANs, and also need to allow all machines to retain the same IP addresses - is this allowed?

Scenario seems to be valid until the Cisco router comes into the picture. It appears that the 2 VLANs must have distinct network addresses for the Cisco router to route properly.

Appreciate if any experienced soul could confirm the above. Thanks.
Jaap Laaij
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jarrod,

Haven't tired this myself, but...
On the switch
- 1 vlan for connection to adsl router
- 2 vlans for machines
All three with ip-adresses
- ip routing
- ip route 0/0 router ip address
- forbid for interfaces in the vlans for
specific interfaces
Jaap Laaij
Frequent Advisor

Oeps saw the title '1810' series
But exclude may works the same for you as forbid?
Jarrod 3S

Thanks, when you say "all 3 with ip addresses", does it mean at each one must have a different network address subnet, i.e. no overlap?
Jaap Laaij
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jarrod,

Yes, that's what I meant.
Default gateway to ADSL router ip-adress
kianwei
Advisor

Let's make it clear.
"Objective is to segment up my existing network into 2, whereby machines on either side are not able communicate with each other" I believe this is your objective.

1810G is a layer 2 entry level switch and not allow to do ACL to control the VLAN traffic. Besides, it didn't function as gateway for all your device. Anyway, you need to gateway the both VLAN to your router.
You just need to tagged up the both VLAN from the 1810G to the adsl router. (if your adsl router capable to understand tagging traffic)

You may have 2 option for your scenario there,
1. Get a layer 3 switch, entry level is 2610 instead of 1810G.
2. Use your router to control the VLAN flow. (if your adsl router can do it)