Web and Unmanaged
1753613 Members
5889 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

New HP 1820-8G using Port 1 (POE) excludes all my tagged VLANs(Management Port)

BillMaguire
Occasional Visitor

New HP 1820-8G using Port 1 (POE) excludes all my tagged VLANs(Management Port)

I have a new HPJ9979A. The old 1810G I still have works great. This one does not.

On the old switch I configured Vlans 17, 20, and 25 to be tagged, all on port 1. 17 and 25 are untagged on ports 2-8. This port is POE, PVID 20 and connected to my corporate network. The management VLAN is 20. Not sure why the old switch automatically makes port 1 an untagged port but it does, as soon as I make it the management port. The old switch will still pass traffic over this port for VLANs 17, and 25. VLAN 17 is my desktop VLAN and I am able to get a DHCP address when connected to the old switch.

I configured the new switch the same way. As soon as I make port 1 the management port it automatically excludes VLANs 17, and 25 and untags VLAN 20. I can no longer get a DHCP address connected to VLAN 17. So now I can't use any of the other VLANs if I make port 1 VLAN 20 and set it as the management port.

HUH!

1 REPLY 1
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Re: New HP 1820-8G using Port 1 (POE) excludes all my tagged VLANs(Management Port)

Hi there

PVID 20 and management vlan20 and management port 

PVID20 results in received untagged packets are forwarded to vlan20
setting this port as mannagement port results in packets from management vlan are sent out untagged
so vlan20 packets are sent untagged
-> a management device (PC)  connected to this port sending untagged packets is effectively connected to vlan20

other vlans may be sent out tagged, but most PC's cannot handle that :-(
but as you want this port connected to your old switch i think you better NOT configure this as management port.