1753359 Members
6543 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Switch port error not connected

jriker1
Occasional Advisor

Switch port error not connected

I have a 24 port managed ProCurve J9450A switch.  I monitor it with a separate applicationn and am receiving 1273 received packets with errors.  Error is on port 11 for what it's worth.  Funny part, that port has nothing connected to it.  Shows Port Status: Down and Link Speed is blank.  I have cleared the log files before this happened so it's legacy information.  Thoughts?

Thanks.

jR

7 REPLIES 7
16again
Respected Contributor

Are you sure, you're counting ports the same way the switch does?  I found out the hard way that some switches count:

1   2   3    4......
13 14  15   16.....
while others do:
1    3    5    7.....
2    4    6   8.......

jriker1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not really counting ports, just reading the report on the switch so it's what ports it's referencing. Anyway, figured out it is an active port but just not always on.  Connected to either my XBox or my receiver so they are on and off a lot.  Wonder why it would be returning errors.  Only thing on the network having this.  Granted it seems insignificant with 27427690 successfully received packets and now 1512 errors, but popped up from my monitoring system so curious as all the other ports show 0 errors.

JR

16again
Respected Contributor

When using 100Mb/s, check for half/full duplex mismatch.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Usually an HP switchport will generate a few errors as it comes up due to it being in spanning-tree blocking mode for a bit.

You can usually safely ignore these.

Mind you, that switch model isn't actually an HP switch, so I have no idea how it behaves normally.

16again
Respected Contributor

afaik the J9450A - HP V1810-24G switch has no spanning tree, 
It's a 3COM/Huawei device re-branded and sold by HP ,  this topic should be under Comware or web-managed switches

jriker1
Occasional Advisor

It's my understanding that the V2 version of this switch is a 3Com switch not this one but maybe I'm wrong.

jriker1
Occasional Advisor

Just traced the port to the problem device. The item in question is an XBox 360 Slim.  Any idea why this device would be causing these errors?

Thanks.

JR