5596 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Switches with CLI access

GeanSouza
Occasional Contributor

Switches with CLI access

• HI,

Can anyone tell me if any of the switches below have telnet access to the CLI (_cmdline-mode on)?
  • 1950 48G 2SFP+ 2XGT PoE+ (370W)    - JG963A
  • 1920S 48G 4SFP PPoE+ 370W - JL386A
  • 1850 48G 4XGT PoE+(370W) - JL173A
  • 1820 48G PoE+ (370W) - J9984A

According to the documentation, management is only via the web, but I do not want to believe that HP removed access to CLI.
5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

AFAIK HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch series, which is Comware 7 operating system based, has CLI (not the _cmdline-mode-on as found on HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch series but the xtd-cli-mode in system-view), not sure about the rest (1820, 1850 and 1920S).

Regarding the HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch series CLI usage, read the "Managing the device from the CLI " Appendix A on its User Guide.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
GeanSouza
Occasional Contributor

HI,

Thanks for the answer, my fear is that I can not manage the switch the same way I could with the 1920-24G. I have several scripts that help me manage all my switches (which are not few).

Have you used this switch yet? I did not find much information on the commands available.

I would like to have a sense of what is available in this mode, if it is similar to the 1920's system-view (_cmdline-mode on).

Thank you.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

GeanSouza wrote: Have you used this switch yet? I did not find much information on the commands available.

You should be able to find an answer here: the point is that HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switches were designed, exactly as the HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch Series, to be managed through their Web GUI...and not (entirely) through their CLI (at least CLI can be used to perform an initial basic setup)...so the xtd-cli-mode operation mode is an Extended (Debug) Mode...indeed you should remember that a "Warning: Extended CLI mode is intended for developers to test the system. Before using commands in extended CLI mode, contact the Technical Support and make sure you know the potential impact on the device and the network" states that (was discussed here, I hope the well known password for the above mode of operation was not changed with latest Software releases).

I'm not an HPE Employee
GeanSouza
Occasional Contributor

I understand your positioning, but as a Cisco, I can not adapt the web interfaces. Another point is that I have 180 switches in my network, it is not feasible to manage them otherwise. Even though the form of access is not official, I am sure that many people also use this access. In my case, if you do not really have an access mode similar to 1920, unfortunately I will have to go to another manufacturer.

But thank you for your answers.

att,

parnassus
Honored Contributor

GeanSouza wrote: I understand your positioning

Hi, it's not my position...it's a matter about how HPE developed and engineered the different present and past HPE OfficeConnect series (1910, 1920, 1950, 1920S...and so on).

If you consider actual Aruba (ArubaOS-Switch OS based, formerly known as HP ProVision OS based on former HP ProCurve) or HPE FlexNetwork (Comware OS based)...they all were developed to be managed via CLI.

I'm not an HPE Employee