108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Trunk between HP V1910-24G and HPE 1920S JL381A

SOLVED
Go to solution
Puntagrand
Regular Visitor

Trunk between HP V1910-24G and HPE 1920S JL381A

Hello everyone, I need some help to made a trunk between an HP V1910-24G and HPE 1920S JL381A

In the v1910 I have some vlans (10,20,40 ....) I tried to add the same vlans list in the new HPE 1920, and set two ports (23,24) to trunk, and connect the port 23 to the HP V1910 24g in the 23port (trunk) but not working (trunk connection not work)

thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Trunk between HP V1910-24G and HPE 1920S JL381A

Hi, you should pay attention to terminology: a single link used for interconnecting two switches is generally called uplink or downlink (uplink if seen from a "low level" switch to an "high level" switch, downlink if seen from the opposite)...while, in Comware (1910) or Linux (1920S) terminology, the very same single link is just an interface that is acting as a point (to point) for connecting other peer and that should be tagged (or untagged+tagged or only untagged) exactly like the corresponding interface on the remote peer switch.

The fact you tag/untag is tied to the necessity of permitting (and conversly accepting) traffic segmented into various (one, two or more) VLANs.

Say you have one VLAN, you could pass it just untagged...or just tagged (with no untagged traffic permitted OR with also untagged traffic permitted <- but not explicitly used on peer switches).

If you have more VLANs you should pass them simply all tagged (or, again, one untagged and all the remaining tagged).

For the sake of semplicity let's go for the "all tagged".

So just tag the interfaces (port 23 on one side and port 23 on the other side) with VLAN ids you need.

Links aggregation (two or more ports aggregated together to form a new logical interface) is a completely different thing...if you deploy a LAG (Link Aggregation Group) and use it as the uplink/downlink interface, you must clearly do on both ends, exactly on both ends...and then apply VLAN tagging to the logical interface represented by the LAG (on both ends).

So be sure that "trunk" means "permitting various VLANs" on a interface other than "aggregating more ports together"...or viceversa (the case of other HP switch series = ProVision based = ProCurve).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Puntagrand
Regular Visitor

first of all, thanks for your help.

Yes, I need to TAG the trunk ports to connect from one sw. to another sw. 

And need to tag port 23 in every vlan;

In HP1920 I can see (inside VLAN => Port Configuration) my port 23 is tagged on VLANS (1,10,20, .. etc) as the same at the other side of the cable connected to this port (inside the HP V1910 on port 23, same configuration tagged on 1,10,20 ... )

But, in the V1910 I see  VLAN => PortDetail => GE1/0/23 Untagged Membership (empty) Tagged Membership (1,10,20...) LINKTYPE Trunk PVID 100

I understand I need to TAG the port, but is not the same the menú options.. At the V1910 permit to select the Link Type (inside VLAN => Modify Port => (select a port) => Link Type (Access/Hybrid/Trunk) ) 

At 1920s menú don´t have Link Type ( I know is not the same menú, not the same OS, not same HW) but, I tagged properly the port.

I only have a "Trunk" menú inside 1920s, but appears a Trunk list (TRK 1 ..... TRK and I have the option to select and edit a Trunk, and make a port a "member" of this Trunk.

After that, I can TAG the trunk in my VLANS (I try to do it but it does not work to).

Well, thank a lot, Regards,

José

parnassus
Honored Contributor

The trunk option on HPE OfficeConnect 1920S means "Aggregated Links" (bonding/teaming/trunking/etherchannel...call it as you like...but it's always a aggregating technology). So forget about it IF the 1910 is not using the same approach (two or more ports aggregated together).

Your interconnection is de-facto made of single link. One interface on both side.

The PVID 100 on 1910 interface GE1/0/23 means simply that interface GE1/0/23 is untagged (internally to the switch) into VLAN id 100...but, as you wrote, you also tagged it into VLAN 1, 10 and 20 (at least). It should of link type trunk (trunk = carrying more VLAN IDs concurrently), so that's good.

On the other hand, on the 1920S the nomenclature couldn't be the same (access, hybrid, trunk) but you could end up with the same VLAN IDs pattern (untagged in VLAN 100, tagged in VLAN 1, 10, 20 etc.).

Another thing to check would be STP or BPDU protections to be sure that 1910 (or 1920) accepts another Switch connected to one of its ports.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Puntagrand
Regular Visitor
Solution

Hello!

Well, finally I resolve the problem creating a VLAN 100 called "PVID", attach the trunk port to this VLAN and set Untagged into it.

Anyway, another important point is we need to  set an IP to VLAN (VLAN used for maintainance purposes, not for end users) into Routing menú (to make pings between switches) and it´s ok, finally works as we suspect.

Thanks a lot!

Regards, José.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Glad you worked out.

@Puntagrand wrote: Anyway, another important point is we need to  set an IP to VLAN (VLAN used for maintainance purposes, not for end users) into Routing menú (to make pings between switches) and it´s ok, finally works as we suspect.

Well, to be honest, this point isn't strictly related to your initial issue: matching VLANs tagging on a uplink interface at both ends has nothing to do with configuring a SVI on a VLAN (just because you need to ping the Switch on that SVI...)...indeed you can simply transport a VLAN (or a group of VLANs) without the need to have a SVI on each switch (and each VLAN) those VLANs are passing through. OTOH a correct VLANs tagging matching on uplink interfaces is essential to start with.

Don't confuse Layer 2 with Layer 3...an uplink works" even without SVI on both ends...clearly somewhere (where the VLANs you need are finally transported) one or more IP interfaces - being an host on a access port or a SVI set on a Switch's VLAN - should exist to start speaking about communication that do/doesn't work.

I'm not an HPE Employee