4164 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Unable to Create VLAN DHCP Relay on 1920S - Receive an Error

bawalker
Occasional Contributor

Unable to Create VLAN DHCP Relay on 1920S - Receive an Error

Evening everyone.

I've got an issue here with setting up the DHCP Relay on an HPE 1920S 24Port PoE switch we have at our one remote office.  I am setting up a relay for all VLAN 50 dhcp requests (guest wifi) to be sent to our firewall/router which handles the guest wifi routing.  However, when I log into our switch, go to Routing > DHCP Relay and enter the IP of the firewall/router, I get the following error message:  

"An IP helper address cannont be configured on this type of interface."

As far as I know, this model of switch does not have a CLI that I can access.  Here's the odd thing.  For our internal corporate network, this switch handles a Vlan-6 and the DHCP relay entered to our Windows DHCP server was entered and works just fine.

Here is how Vlan-50 & Vlan-6 are setup in case this makes any difference:

Vlan-50:  The port the AP is connected too is "Tagged" and "Included".  The port that our switch connects to our fiberback-haul to the main site is "Tagged" and "Included".  Each port of the two switches at our main site that Vlan-50 flows through is appropriately tagged.  This 1920S Vlan-50 interface has a static IP assigned, 192.168.2.10.  I can access to the Ping utility on this 1920S and successfully ping the router/firewall (192.168.2.1).  Now at our Main site, guest-wifi works great on Vlan-50.  There the wireless connection hits the Ubiquiti AP, then touches the Ubiquiti switch, then hits the core HPE 1950 switch and then goes straight to the router.  The vlan-50 interfaces on the Ubiquiti and and 1950 do NOT have static IP's assigned.

Vlan-6:  All ports on the switch that touch local client machines are "Untagged" and "Included".  The port that connects to our fiber backhaul is "Tagged" and "Included" as well.  The port on the switch at the main site that our backhaul traffic arrives on (1920S) is tagged and included as well as having a static IP on it's vlan-6 interface.  The interface for the off-site vlan-6 has a static IP as well.  All of that traffic is sent to the Windows DHCP server for IP allocation.  

Any ideas?  I tried to attach screenshots of the issue, but was unable to do so, the feature is not enabled for me at this time.

Thanks!