1745873 Members
4167 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Uplink port of HP 1810 SW

kumudu
Occasional Visitor

Uplink port of HP 1810 SW

please clarify me,regarding the following points, 1. what is the technical difference betwwen Acess port and Uplink port? 2.Can i use access port as up link to connect the another switch using Hp 1810 - 24 switch? 3.What is the drawback of performanse , if i use access port as uplink port? Thanks Kumudu
1 REPLY 1
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: Uplink port of HP 1810 SW

Hi

I will try to give some explenations.

1. what is the technical difference between Access port and Uplink port?

Generelly the terms mean:

Access port - a port used to connect an end point.

Uplink-port is used to connect to another switch.

This terms are typicaly not used with the 1810 switch and the ports of this switch are not predefined as access or uplink. In the default config are ports are the same.

The last  4 ports are dual-personality and can be more suitable to be used as uplinks because they support fiber optic transceivers, which makes it possible to connect to switches that are located more than 100 m away. Thats why they are sometimes referred as uplinks.  But if all the switches are within 100 meters, you can use any port to connect to another switch via copper.

I dont know what modell 1810 exactly you have in mind. In the first generation all the ports were 1 Gigabit so there was no difference in the bandwidth of the ports. I see now that Fast Ethernet modells fo the 1810 series were released. On this modells there may be also a difference in the bandwidht. Access ports support only 10/100. Uplinks 10/100/1000.

Other difference between access and uplink is the VLAN support. If you network is segmented in VLANs the uplink ports need the be member of the supported VLANs (which is achieved by VLAN tagging) in order to make sure that the communication between ports in the same VLAN but on different switches can work.

The access ports are typicaly member of only one VLAN (untagged) because most of the end points dont support VLANs.

2.Can i use access port as up link to connect the another switch using Hp 1810 - 24 switch?

If the other switch is within 100m you can use a twisted pair copper cable and any port on the switch.

If both switches support multiple VLANs that need to communicate you have to add the port as member of all VLANs. It can be untagged in only one VLAN and tagged in multiple.

If the other switch is located more than 100m away, then you can use only the last 4 ports, because they support fiber optic connections.

3.What is the drawback of performanse , if i use access port as uplink port?

If you have a 1810 v2 Fast Ethernet modell then the access ports support lower speed- 10/100 instead Gigabit.

If you are using a Gigabit modell then there is no difference if the other switch is within 100m.

If the switch is more than 100m away you cannot use copper cable because the performance degrades.

HTH

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo