cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V1810-24G capabilities

Jon Koelker
Occasional Advisor

V1810-24G capabilities

I think I've been had.....we just bought a number of these switches which are advertised as 10/100/1000 switches, but as I'm going through my configuration and looking at link speed the ports are advertising either 10 or 100 Mbps half- or full-duplex. I don't see any of them showing gigabit capability......please tell me I'm overlooking something......

2 REPLIES
Jon Koelker
Occasional Advisor

Re: V1810-24G capabilities

A little further investigation reveals that by checking the port summary page I can see that the port my laptop is connected on shows status of 1000Mbps Full Duplex - so it seems that you can get the gig speed only by allowing autonegotiation to handle it. That's OK, but since this switch will uplink to a Cisco Catalyst 4510 via a four-port trunk, I had hoped to be able to hard-set that parameter, since Cisco is known to be a bit unpredictable in how it handles autonegotiation with non-Cisco devices.....

If anyone cares to weigh in on this topic I'd be interested to hear your experiences and how you've handled it.

Thanks!

Jon Koelker

Oyster River School District

Durham, NH

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: V1810-24G capabilities

Cisco did implement autonegotiation in a different way from almost everyone else when it first came out; however, the ambiguity in the standard was resolved a decade ago. It is debated endlessly on forums like these whether it is a good idea to turn autonegotiation on or not.

However, if you are running 1000BASE-T, autonegotation is a required part of the standard. For one thing, it establishes which end is the master clock and which end the slave. I suggest you don't worry about autonegotiation, at least as far as 1000BASE-T, goes.