108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: V1910 Link aggregation stops working if ports are Trunk links

SOLVED
Go to solution
CraigPutnam
Frequent Visitor

V1910 Link aggregation stops working if ports are Trunk links

I am trying to configure link aggregation on 3 new HP V1910-48G switches, with firmware V1910-CMW520-R1513P85. I need static aggregation since I will be connecting to some devices that don't support LACP. I really want the ports to be Trunk links since I have several VLANs.

By itself, setting the ports as Trunk links works fine - connectivity to other devices works.

Creating a link aggregation when all of the ports are Access links also works fine.

If I set a group of ports as Trunk links, then create a link aggregation with them, I lose connectivity through the link and all of the member ports are in the Unselected state with the message "The port is not configured properly."

Here's what I really don't get. According to the manual, the switch selects one of the ports as the reference port (pg 219). Any member port that matches certain configuration parameters of the reference port are placed in the Selected state. How then is it even possible that all (connected) ports in an aggregation are Unselected?

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

What if you create your link aggregation group, and just select one port to be a member of it to start off with?

CraigPutnam
Frequent Visitor
Solution

I deleted the aggregation and re-created it using just the connected port. Same thing.

I did manage to figure it out, but I'm going to put you through a story before I offer the solution. The Detail tab of the Port Management page showed that the aggregation, BAGG1, had a link type of "-" (dash), implying that it could not be configured with a link type of its own. Indeed, when I tried to set the link type from the Setup tab of the Port Management page, nothing changed.

However, the Port Detail tab of the VLAN page showed that BAGG1 had a link type of Access! That would explain why changing the underling ports to Trunk caused an error. The Modify Port tab of the VLAN page also lets you change the link type of a port. When I changed the link type of BAGG1 to Trunk here, it worked.

So, the documentation seems to be wrong: to create a static link aggregation where the underlying ports have a link type of Trunk, you also need to manually set the link type of the aggregation to Trunk, but you have to do it on the VLAN page instead of the Port Management page.

KLC2

awesome Craig! Really appreciate the assist....stupid HP!