108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: V1920 - Gateway configuration via Web GUI

SOLVED
Go to solution
synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

V1920 - Gateway configuration via Web GUI

There appears to be a bug, even included in the latest firmware, meaning that it is impossible to set a default gateway in the web GUI of the v1920 switches, meaning we have to set them up via CLI which is time consuming and inconvenient. This problem existed in the v1910 switches however a firmware update resolved that. However this bug has reappeared in the 1920.

Please HP can you sort this out?

P.S. This thread ahs been moved from ProCurve / ProVision-Based to Web and Unmanaged. - Hp forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

Would appreciate an answer before all of the purchased devices are sent back as not fit for purpose. 

EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

I can configure it just fine on my 1920-24G running software release 1104. By default, the switch will do DHCP and get an ip address and default gateway. To set a static ip address, go to Network - VLAN Interface and configure what you want. To configure a default gateway, go to Network - IPv4 Routing and set a static route: 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 Next Hop <default gateway>.

In the future, you may also consider placing a call to support as an alternative to these forums.

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

All of the switches are running that firmware (updated from the factory installed firmware to check). As the gateway is not configurable, once they had an address set (and this is likely where we differ) the machine I was using to configure them on a different subnet was no longer able to communicate. The only way forward was to hunt high and low for a machine with a serial port to set up via the console. 

The issue is the lack of option to change the gateway, which was a bug in the older 1910's firmware which was indeed fixed. We have multiple 1910-48s and the last few switches we bought are 1920s and all exhibit this behaviour. 

The idea of posting on the forum was hopefully to incite other users to either confirm the issue exists on a more widespread basis, or indeed to see if it was something simple that I had overlooked. 

EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Ok, I have a solution for you.

You need to configure the new default gateway first and then change the IP address. I have tested this accross a routed network and it worked beautifully.

1. Go to Network - IPv4 Routing - Create tab and create a new default route: Dest IP - 0.0.0.0, Mask - 0.0.0.0, Next Hop - <NEW GW> and click Apply. Don't delete an existing default route.
2. Go to Network - VLAN Interface - Modify tab and change the IP address to the new value.
3. Move the switch to the new network.
3. Connect to the switch on the new IP address.
4. Go to Network - IPv4 Routing - Remove tab and delete the old default route.

You may notice that the default route isn't listed in the routing table (Network - IPv4 Routing - Summary tab). The routing table will automatically get updated when the IP address changes.

Of course this assumes that the broadcast domain the switch is connected to is multinetted for both subnets or that you are moving the switch to the new subnet somehow.

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

Ah, perfect thanks. That'll save a few headaches on the next few we buy!

MikeMCSE
Occasional Collector

Thanks for the tip to put a route in.  That solved an issue we had been having on a 1950.

Thanks
Mike
mcferrero
Visitor

Thank you!