108799 Solutions
New Discussion

VoIP Phones not getting DHCP address from correct vlan

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dryans
Occasional Visitor

VoIP Phones not getting DHCP address from correct vlan

I am trying to add a V1910-24G switch to our existing HP Network.  My problem is that VoIP phones are not being added to the proper Vlan.

Existing Network is HP 5406ZL switches:

One DHCP Server on Vlan 1 with 2 scopes, one for Vlan 1 (PCs) and one for Vlan 35 (VoIP)

Vlan 35 has an IP Helper configured to point to the DHCP Server on Vlan 1

Ports are configurd Untagged for Vlan 1 and Tagged for Vlan 35

When a Phone is connected, it gets a Vlan 35 address.  When A PC is connected to that phone it gets a Vlan 1 address.

The V1910 switch has Vlan 35 created with an address assigned.

DHCP Relay is enabled for Vlan 35 and the address of our DHCP Server on Vlan 1 specified

I am using port 24 as my uplink (Untagged = Vlan 1, Tagged = Vlan 35, Link Type = Trunk)

The port it connects to is set (Untagged for Vlan 1, Tagged for Vlan 35)

Voice Vlan settings on the V1910 switch for all ports except 24 are (Security = Enabled, Vlan Port Mode = Enabled, Voice Vlan Port State = enabled, Vlan ID = 35)

Ports are configured Untagged for Vlan 1, and Tagged for Vlan 35, Link type = Hybrid

When I connect a Cisco phone I get a DHCP address from Vlan 1.

Any idea why?  Do I need to setup a special route for the DHCP relay between vlans? and if so, how?

3 REPLIES 3
rmorley
Regular Visitor

Re: VoIP Phones not getting DHCP address from correct vlan

Are these older cisco phones?  If so try these commands.  Havent used a v1910, so not sure if they are available....

cdp mode pre-standard-voice
power-over-ethernet pre-std-detect ports 1-23

Also no need for ip address on vlan 35, ip addresses are for management or routing only.  Nor should you need ip-helper address as that is configured on your 5406 which I am assuming is doing the routing.

When all fails, configure the vlan on your phones and see if it works.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I guess you should configure the 1910 to be similar to the 5406: your phone ports are configured as trunks on the 5406, so get rid of "hybrid" from the 1910s and make them trunks.

Then, you have this "Voice vlan port state=enabled" - what does that do? 

Finally, how does the Cisco phone know which is the tagged Voice VLAN on the 5406? Does the 5406 have LLDP?

Dryans
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Found the solution to this!  All the settings I had were correct, but what I was missing as enabling the CDP protocol.  Without CDP enabled the HP software couldn't determine they were VoIP devices connecting and so didn't assing the correct vlan.

Under Networking, LLDP I had to enable CDP globally and then for each port I had to set the CDP mode to TxRx.  Once that was done the switch assigned the vlans properly.