HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which switch?

WojtekT
Frequent Visitor

Which switch?

I want make modifications in my home network. At home I have small office. I want to separate buissnes and home networks. Idea is that computers from both networks need to have access to internet (thru Asus RT-AC58U router and it should works as DHCP server for both networks). Computers from buissnes network need to have access to buissnes server. Computers from home network need to have access to home servers and to buissnes server. I want to have access to home and business servers from Internet. In the future I want add IP cameras which will record video on one of the home server. All business computers will be connected directly to switch by cable. Home computers I connect thru cable or wifi (thru router). There is some Tv's which need to have access to DLNA on home servers. For that I need buy switch (I want that all of that functional must be made by switch by settings ports I don't want do any settings directly on connected computers). I think about HP1820 or HP1920s. Which one can do what I want? Or maybe I can do this with cheaper one. 

4 REPLIES
johndotcom
Occasional Contributor

Re: Which switch?

If I could re-visit my purchase, I think I would go with an Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch.  It seems more SOHO user friendly and has a much more active user support community.

WojtekT
Frequent Visitor

Question is if HP1820 (level2 switch) could do what I need or I need HP1920 (level3). Or maybe even lower level switch can do this? At the moment I not focus on manufacturer. I trust HP and don't know Ubiquiti (which does not mean that is worse switch).

johndotcom
Occasional Contributor

I see.  You may have a more timely response here: https://www.snbforums.com/forums/switches-nics-and-cabling.9/

parnassus
Honored Contributor

I think that any switch model belonging to the new HPE OfficeConnect 1920S Switch series (support here) should suffice: this Switch series was developed to be Web Manageable and it provides VLAN (port and protocol based) and, consequently, also basic IP routing (static routes) plus all other good things a switch should provide (LACP for port trunking, Spanning Tree, etc.)...the whole HPE Community is here to help you.