New Discussion юеВ

Re: Yet another question about HP VLANs

SOLVED
Go to solution
kooper_hpnoob
Occasional Visitor

Yet another question about HP VLANs

Hi all

Apologies if this question has been asked a lot already. I'm extremely new to the more advanced concepts of networking, but I inherited an environment that's forcing me to try and learn it as fast as possible.

My current setup:

1 HP V1910-24 switch (L2+ I believe)

No additional configuration was ever done on this switch, meaning everything is on VLAN1 and all configurations are stock-standard.

I now have to get a point-to-point link in place using a VLAN with ID 25, which I've done by doing the following:

- Connected the link into port 5

- Created a new VLAN in the HP switch web interface with ID 25 and named it descriptively

- Configured port 5 to be a tagged member of VLAN 25

Port 5 is now a hybrid port, being a tagged member of VLAN 25, and an untagged member of VLAN 1. My question now is if I connect a device on port 4 (i.e. VLAN 1), would I be able to ping a device on the other end of VLAN 25 if the IP of my device is on the correct range?

My thinking is port 4 can communicate with port 5 since they're both members of VLAN 1, with port 5 being a tagged member of VLAN 25. If it's not that simple, do I need to configure the ports connected to the device I need to get onto VLAN 25 untagged members of VLAN 25 as well? If so, can they also be hybrid ports (i.e. untagged members of VLAN 1 and untagged members of VLAN 25)?

Again, I'm sorry if this question has been asked repeatedly and if it's a comparitively simple scenario, but I'm really struggling to get my head around it.

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

What do you exactly mean with "...at the other end of VLAN 25"?

If, at the other end of the point-to-point link that start from port 5 of your Switch, there is a port that belongs to a different Switch...then you need to configure that remote port exactly like (from the point of view of Untagged/Tagged VLANs and of Port Type - better to use "Trunk" type) you did on the local one of your first Switch. Basically this will define a Trunk type with VLAN 1 Untagged and VLAN 25 Tagged, logical trunk port's type should be set of type "Trunk" (not Hybrid).

Doing so and so permitting VLAN 25 (Tagged) on that Trunk any hosts on VLAN 1 will be able to ping any hosts on VLAN 1 on the other's end (2nd Switch) and vice-versa, the same will be valid for any hosts on VLAN 5 25 (Edit) on the 1st or 2nd Switch.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
kooper
Occasional Advisor

Hi parnassus

Many thanks for the feedback. If I understand correctly, I am to do the following:

- Change port 5 from type hybrid to type trunk:

- Browse to network > VLAN > Modify Port > select port 5 > select membership type as Link Type

- Select Trunk from the dropdown next to Link Type

- Click Apply

- Port 5 remains a tagged member of VLAN 25 and an untagged member of VLAN1

That is what I've done now. Clicking on "Port Details" under VLAN in network shows the following for port 5:

GE1/0/5  -  Untagged Membership: 1  -  Tagged Membership: 25  -  Link Type: Trunk  -  PVID: 1

I'm not too sure if the PVID is of any significance here, can't remember explicitly setting that at any point. From what I could gather, this is the VLAN ID that is attached to untagged traffic and forwarded to the VLAN in question (in this case 1?).

Hope the above looks more or less correct. Unfortunately I can't test all of this just yet as the other side of the point-to-point link is still being finalized (plus I don't have any access to that whatsoever).

Thanks again for the help with this. It's a much trickier concept to grasp for me than I thought it would be.

kooper
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for switching usernames, seems I've got more than one (looks like I have at least three as a matter of fact).

kooper_hpnoob
Occasional Visitor

Preemptively marking your answer as the solution. As mentioned, I am yet to test whether everything we have in place so far works as expected, but I think you gave me a good understanding of what is needed now.

Thanks for the help! :)

parnassus
Honored Contributor

OK, doesn't matter for marking my Answer as a (possible) Solution, I don't care about that...but thanks!

To me the important part is to find a possible track to follow...AFAIK you are doing IMHO the right configuration steps: set the near end port's port type of type "Trunk", set the Tagged VLAN to VLAN Id 25 (PVID remains to Default VLAN Id 1...so untagged incoming traffic on all VLAN ID 1 Untagged ports remains in that default VLAN Id 1 (if you don't need to change the PVID/Default VLAN Id for those ports leave that setting on them as is)...repeat this configuration on the remote port (far end) on your 2nd Switch, link both ports (near end with far end).

It should work.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
kooper_hpnoob
Occasional Visitor

Thanks parnassus. I'll test and update here as soon as possible.