1752797 Members
5871 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: network glitch office connect 1920 switch

maca2004
Occasional Contributor

network glitch office connect 1920 switch

Hi I've installed several Office Connect 1920 switches.  This is for an IP CCTV system and IP Access Control System.

Periodically the network glitches for about 20 seconds.  I lose all the cameras and the door controllers - so the main central switch is involved.  However, I can not see any reason or cause for this.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Neil

7 REPLIES 7
parnassus
Honored Contributor

What do you mean exactly with the term "glitch"? do you lose ping? network speed slow down? (especially if you're measuring inter-VLANs routing speed between devices belonging to different routed VLANs), how many devices do you have? do you have 48 ports model?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Dunky
Regular Advisor

Are there any STP Topology Changes when you experience the 'glitch'?

I assume this impacts all users when you say the network stops, or is it just your CCTV/door access in which case we may be lookiing at a multicacst/IGMP issue?

maca2004
Occasional Contributor

Hi sorry for the late reply.

The network is standalone and dedicated solely to CCTV and Access Control.

We have a main 24 port switch in the security control room.  There are 4 cabinets around the site connected to the main switch by fibre.  Each Cabinet contains 2 x 1920 switches and 1 x 1920 switch.  From one of these cabinets we have an 8 port 1920 switch connected by CAT7 and from the main switch we have another 8 port 1920 switch connected by CAT7.

We've set a subnet of 255.255.248.0.  IP Cameras are on 192.168.1.X, Access Control Units on 192.168.5.X, Servers & NVRs on 192.168.0.X.

We have on the network 96 x 1080p IP cameras, 2 Ievo fingerprint readers, 36 x Access Control Units, 12 x Access Control Intercoms, 3 x Decoders, 3 x NVR, 1 x Access Control Server, 1 x Client PC.  All gateways set to 192.168.0.254

All I've done for the switches is turn the power save option off and give them a static IP.

When I say network glitch we lose ping for about 20 seconds.  We lose cameras and door controllers across the whole network.  The 'glitch' seems to be random occurring on any day at any time - usually every couple of days.

Could we be exceeding the bandwidth of the main switch?  

Dunky
Regular Advisor

Wow thats a big subnet, wouldnt suprise me if you had loads of broadcast traffic and multicast traffic flooding the network.

I would configure STP for sure and IGMP queriers.

Ideally I would have the CCTV in a separate VLAN/subnet to reduce the impact of multicast traffic.

Futher more, when I have done large scale CCTV deployments (shopping centres, so they also have door access control, car parking barriers/pay machines, intercoms, IP phones etc etc) , I have always used 2 fibres form the core to edge switches and adjust STP costs for the MSTP instance (put CCTV vlan into a separate MSTP instance) to ensure CCTV traffic uses a dedicated fibre and all other traffic over the other.

Only suggestions, but I personally wouldnt have everything in one subnet. So, split it out, use STP, separate the CCTV traffic on the uplinks if you can, and reduce the multicast traffic by using IGMP queriers.  Ideally you would also have the NVR's physically patched to the core.

HTH

maca2004
Occasional Contributor

Hi

And thank you.

Shall I configure STP and IGMP on the core switch only?

Regards
Neil
Dunky
Regular Advisor

Ni Neil,

You need to configure STP (MSTP) on all switches and interfaces. Without knowing your exact setup I cant give too much advice but if you have two uplinks to edge switches, then make CCTV a separate VLAN, make that VLAN a separate MSTP instance and use STP costs to ensure all CCTV traffic between the edge switches and the core is over a separate fibre to all other traffic, but allow all VLANs over both uplinks to allow failover ensuring connectivity is retained in the event of an uplink failing.

I would configure IGMP queriers on the core switch(es).

I am on holiday now till August so hopefully you get it all working. I'm sure others on here will help you if you need any further advice.

Steve

maca2004
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Steve have a good holiday.

We've an 8 core fibre so selerate VLANS is possible. Will look at configuring it the way you have suggested.