Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64 bit Drivers for pavilion zv5000 -- esp. Wifi -- Broadcom

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ten Ox
Occasional Visitor

64 bit Drivers for pavilion zv5000 -- esp. Wifi -- Broadcom

Interested in installing 64 bit versions of 2003 server and XP pro on a Pavilion laptop, zv5255US. To my understanding, all drivers need to be 64 bit versions, and the wifi adapter will probably be the main holdup -- haven't found a source.

Broadcom supplies the parts to HP, who only has info about their own internal-use model #; tech support claims that there is currently not any known development effort to create these drivers, and there won't be until HP actually sells the boxen with 64 bit os's installed and fully supported. That probably won't happen till 2005 or 2006, based on MS's release schedule.

Is anyone aware of 64 bit windows drivers for the 54g Broadcom wifi adapters?

TIA,

/ts
"Problem exists between keyboard and chair...." BOFH
11 REPLIES
Thomas_168
Advisor

Re: 64 bit Drivers for pavilion zv5000 -- esp. Wifi -- Broadcom

This forum is specifically setup to answer questions regarding Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems server operating system.

Please use this forum to ask questions regarding Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems server operating system only.

Though the Integration Note white paper is not yet published, we expect it to be published within a week or so, it will list the hp ProLiant servers supported with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems. The zv5000 is not a ProLiant server we will provide support for with this server operating systems.
Ten Ox
Occasional Visitor

-This forum is specifically setup to answer
-questions regarding Microsoft Windows Server
-2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems server
-operating system.

My question specifically targets the Operating System mentioned in the Forum's title: Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit
Extended Systems

-Please use this forum to ask questions
-regarding Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for
-64-Bit Extended Systems server operating
-system only.

Is this a "user" forum? Is this not the
most appropriate forum? Unable to answer
the question regarding drivers, HP's own
tech support suggested that I ask the
question and seek the answer in the "Forums".

-Though the Integration Note white paper is
-not yet published, we expect it to be
-published within a week or so, it will list
-the hp ProLiant servers supported with
-Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit
-Extended Systems. The zv5000 is not a
-ProLiant server we will provide support for
-with this server operating systems.

While the zV5ooo is not a pRolIaNt server,
it is an HP product AND a 64bit extended
architecture (potentially server) system,
I was directed here by tech support, and
my questions are with regard to the
forum's title. Perhaps a more appropriate
and topic-specific forum title is indicated?

Finally, the tone of the response is not
friendly nor was any actual help offered.
Customer relations is an important issue
for every employee, especially those
speaking as an agents for the company.

/ts

"Problem exists between keyboard and chair...." BOFH
Bala_18
Occasional Visitor

Hi Tex Ox.

I just got off the HP instant chat support. Another so called "EXPERT" in the chat declared that the ZV5000 does not support 64 bit computing. Most of these guys are clueless. I find this awfull. I have opened another thread just for ZV5000. Please post your discoveries. The thread I have opened is http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=684630

I just wanted to let you know that I did install the WINDOWS 2003 Server 64 bit and XP 64 bit editions. NVIDIA was the only company providing the drivers. The RealTek NIC Card was automatically detected. NVDIA Audio drivers were compatable too. BroadCom, Modems et al seem to be an issue. I did have better success with XP 64 Bit on ZV5000. Windows 2003 NVIDIA driver kept crashing on me.

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I guess Thomas thinks to Itanium. There is some confusion about 64 bit processor.

At moment there are 2 different windows version for 64 bit.
Windows xp 64 bit
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx
Support AMD64 (Athlon & Opteron), Intel XEON (EM64T), Intel Pentium4 (EM64T): no Itanium.
It's better subscribe CPP program (see 1.st link in this post).

Windows 2003 server 64 bit extension:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/trial/default.mspx
Suppot AMD64 and Intel EM64T: no Itanium.
It's better subscribe CPP program (see 2.nd link in this post).

About 64 bit processor there is "The Inquirer" article http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11785
More specifically for Windows 2K3 64 bit extensions read here
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1637471,00.asp

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I hope this link can help you
http://www.route64.net/

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Philip Doragh
Trusted Contributor

Beyond needing the drivers to support the 64bit kernel, the BIOS, especially its ACPI implementation need to be updated to support the 64bit kernel. This is especially important in the power management area of the system where there is a lot of cross talk between the BIOS and the operating system. At this time, HP does not have any plans to make the necessary updates to the zv5000 to have it support 64bit operating system editions. That being said, HP understands that 64bit operating system support is a request/requirement from our customers which purchase the AMD based notebooks with 64bit capability.
Greg Davis_2
Occasional Advisor

I wanted to let everyone know that Thomas' reply was intended to convey the sense that this forum is being monitored by experts on HP ProLiant Servers in conjunction with Microsoft 64-Bit Extended server operating systems. Those monitoring this forum are not experts on our workstation or laptop products, and particularly not expert on the use of non-server versions of the OS (e.g. XP-64 or the Professional Edition of the Windows Server 2003 for 64-bit Extended Systems OS).

I apologize if this seems like a curt answer, but we are not (and do not pretend to be) experts on all HP 64-bit extended products.

- Greg
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Greg,
because any fellow understand by forum title and not private agreement, I guess it's better change the header of this forum.

Please, post here too
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=693914
so may be very clear for allbodies.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

To Greg and Thomas:

Since you guys (for a reason unbeknowst to us mere mortals) do not have HP icons next to your names, you should develop a technique to immediately alert people to the fact that you are HP employees, unless you don't mind seeming a bit pompous and arrogant. I would think you should stick this in every one of your posts (or ask Dan to give you an HP icon).

Just my 2 cents.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

I agree with Roger.
If this forum is only for HP Proliant Server, change title of this forum adeguatly.
Otherwise every fellow is free to post his question.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Greg Davis_2
Occasional Advisor

Agreed. I apologize for any confusion I have caused here.

- Greg