Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install W2003 using EBSU on ia64 (Firmware update failed)

Pavel Novak
Occasional Visitor

Cannot install W2003 using EBSU on ia64 (Firmware update failed)

Hi all,
I'm trying to install Windows Server 2003 SP1 for Itanium on rx1620 server. The only way I found to do this is through Smart Setup CD and EFI-Based Setup Utility. Direct install does not work, because Windows wants to supply SCSI drivers on A: floppy, that is obviously missing.

Where is the problem: EBSU wants to update system firmware first, I have to select all updates. However, the firmware present in the machine is already the same version that is on CD (v4.13, CD version is 5.1) and the update fails. Therefore, EBSU doesn't continue creating virtual A: floppy and installing Windows..

I tried to downgrade the Sytem firmware to the version 2.18 (to make the upgrade than working), but running UPDATE_SFW.EFI via EFI Shell fails.. Anyway, I don't think this is the right way how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated, I spent already three days on it and I think there are lot of people running W2003 on rx16xx servers.. How did you install them? (Our box came with HP-UX pre-installed and we want to have it dual boot - one disk HP-UX and other W2003.)

Thanks, Pavel