Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emulex mulitpath problem

Emulex mulitpath problem

Hi,
I'm running W2003 64bit on an rx2620. I added a SAN disk to the system and when I look at the disk management I see 2 disks. I did use the support pack to set it to "single" but that didn't seem to work. How do I set the emulex to only use 1 path? Any ideas?

Diane
4 REPLIES
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Re: Emulex mulitpath problem

Hi Diane,

not sure what you mean with " i've set it to single in the supportpack" , can you elaborate on that pls so we can better understand what you mean ?

As long as you don't have any multipath s/w installed on your system, all LUNs that are presented from a fibre channel disk array will be seen double as a minimum or more (depends on Disk Array type and SAN layout). So you need either Autopath/Securepath, MPIO or other vendors multipath s/w packages installed depending on the model of disk array and driver that you want to use. Those multipath S/W packages will add a filter driver in the I/O stack that recognize the same LUN is seen multiple times and filter it out and only present each LUN as one disk to the Windows OS.

HTH

Kris

Hi,

When I run the rx2600 support pack, it allows me to configure the emulex 64-bit fibre card. The choices are:
Multipath: in conjunction w/ Secure Path
SinglePath: use when connecting to EVA5000/3000 where secure Path is not used.
Transparent:use when connection to HSG based controllers config in dual redundant mode. Secure Path no used.

I chose Single path.

Diane
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Diane:

I think those are just modes for the card, to set specific configuration parameters on the card and/or in the registry. You still need to use Secure Path or MPIO if you have "multipaths" to your storage. From the sounds of it, you do.

Your choices...

1. Remove 1 path from the EVA (Assuming you are connected to an EVA).

or

2. Zone only 1 path on your SAN Switch

or

3. Get the proper software for your configuration.

What storage array do you have?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Diane,

as mentioned by Steve, the support pack only prepares the driver and registry settings with the most optimal and tested parameters for the environment in which you are going to use it, it does not replace the multipath software itself that you always need if you want to benefit from features like load balancing or redundancy (i.e. if one disk array controller or it's link or switch fails, you still have access to the data on the array via the other path).

So either you choose to limit the available features/advantages and zone the access to the disk array off to one single path or you add the necessary software.

If you only have one SAN switch between the disk array and the RX2620, you can still benefit of two paths to/from the array via the proper zoning but the switch will be your single point of failure in that case.

If you provide more details, we can be more clear and advise the best choice for your config.

Kris