Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Itanium rx4640 with Emulex LP10000 SAN Boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
William Shaw
Frequent Advisor

HP Itanium rx4640 with Emulex LP10000 SAN Boot

Hello! I am trying to install Win2003 on a SAN attached drive from an Itanium rx4640. I have Windows installed on the local drive and have established connectivity to the remote SAN attached devices. The problem is getting Windows to install on the remote drive.

I am supposed to go into the Boot BIOS of the Emulex LP10000 HBA, but whenever I boot the rx4640 system, I am not able to get into the Emulex BIOS. It's as if the rx4640 startup skips or otherwise ignores the BIOS of the Emulex. Using the Emulex 'lputil' I have confirmed that the BIOS is enabled on the card, but on system startup I never get the prompt about using -E to get into the BIOS. I tried pressing -E throughout the bootup, but the Emulex BIOS interface never comes up.

So, is there some trick to getting an Itanium to let the BIOS utility of the Emulex HBA to start?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Itanium rx4640 with Emulex LP10000 SAN Boot

William:

Are you using the latest version of EFIboot from here:

http://www.emulex.com/ts/docfc/frame10000.htm

Obviously, I'm assuming you're booting the 64-bit version of Windows.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Can you change boot manager before bootstrap?

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi William,

pls read the application note on SAN boot for Windows/IPF it is located here :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00193929/c00193929.pdf

Page 22 and onwards describes the steps to download the correct F/W in the adapters and select the LUN you want to boot from (or install onto).
Carefully go through each step described here, it works fine but don't skip any step.

You'll also need access to a recent SmartSetup CD which you can download here i.e. :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=346361&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=88837&prodTypeId=15351&swEnvOID=1060#3096

HTH

Kris
William Shaw
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all the replies. Turns out I was not using the EFI boot for Emulex, and that was the problem. Once I downloaded and then loaded the EFI boot module to the LP1000 HBA I was able to map my target LUNs through the SAN. My only problem is that rx4640 itanium system has no A: drive, which is (stupidly) the only way that Windows install will take a 3rd party driver during OS install. I'm going to try using a USB floppy drive, hopefully that will work!

thanks again
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi William,

pls check the OS installation steps on page 27 and onwards (in the SANboot document i referred to)

HP wrote a virtual floppy utility for this and this avoids the need for a physicall floppy.

When you use the HP OS install/re-install media kit then lots of this is all automated.

Kris
William Shaw
Frequent Advisor

Kris,

Thanks again for the info. Since I am using an Emulex HBA, the procedure for using HP virtual floppy drive will not work. That feature appears to support only a few HP HBAs.

I think I may just have to purchase a floppy drive for this system!