Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware MAL funtion

SOLVED
Go to solution
sputnix
Frequent Advisor

Hardware MAL funtion

I tried to install on a DL145 Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition, using this ISO-file: w2k3sp1_1218_usa_x64fre_ads.iso

Installed Bios Version: 4.06

Hardware: 2 * 2.4 GHZ Opteron, 4 GB RAM, 1 *36 GB SCSI Disk attached on a SCSI card (Adaptec 29320ALP)

After the first reboot during the installation, I got a bluescreen: "Hardware MAL function. Please call your hardware/support verndor"

Any ideas?

andreas

7 REPLIES
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Hardware MAL funtion

If you're on the beta team for Server 2003 sp1 testing, you should know to report this issue back to the beta center as a bug in SP1. Go back to the Windows beta site, and report the issue there so that the developers can work on it. Also, if you check in the MS beta newsgroups, you may find that it's been reported and resolved already.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
sputnix
Frequent Advisor

Hi again,
I tried another SCSI-driver. On the HP website only a 32-bit SCSI-driver is available.
The HP SCSI Card is one from LsiLogic:
LSI Logic PCI SCSI/FC MPI Miniport Driver 64-bit.
After import (F6) this driver to my server the installation aborted later during my installation.

After the first reboot, the installtion of Windows 64-bit started now without a bluescreen. The new installtion aborts after "Installing Start Menu Items" near the end of the Windows installation.

Bluescreen:
***Hardware Malfunction
Call your Hardware Vendor for support
***System has halted

After the next reboot this message is shown:
"Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this Problem as: loaded needed DLLs for Kernel. Please contact your support person to report this problem."

FYI: there is no option in the bios to disable the virtual floppy option. In the whitepaper "Implementing Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-bit Extended Systems on Proliant servers" http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00235042/c00235042.pdf it is explained as a pre-installation task!

More Ideas?

andreas

Thomas_168
Advisor

Andreas,
Just wanted to let you know I have read this and I am working with correct teams to get response for you.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Missed this article:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=692420

HP IS offering limited support.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Thomas_168
Advisor
Solution

Andreas,
We have tested the Customer Preview Program release build of Microsoft Windows Server 2003, x64 Editions on both ATA and SCSI boot controller DL145 as shipped base platform by HP and we have not been able to reproduce the issue described in "Hardware MAL function". Please let me know if you continue to see this issue, I would like to more about it and see if we can be of further assistance.

Tom
sputnix
Frequent Advisor

Hi Thomas,

32-bit Windows altough didn´t run on the DL145 Server. So I called the Support Center for a solution, the system bord and the SCSI-Controller has been replaced.

I was wondering another SCSI-Controller is send to me, a 2-channel one. In the support matrix (whitepaper about installing x64 version) this is the only one which is supported. In my machine a 1-channel SCSI controller was build in.

Now, I´m installing a 32-bit version of windows and it is looking good. Tomorrow I will try to install the x64 version.

Thanks for your support Thomas!
Tommorrow I ´ll give you informations about my x64 installation.

andr
sputnix
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

everything works! x64 is running.
I think the Adaptec SCSI Controller was the problem!?! It was a wrong one - not supported one...

Thanks for your help and support
andreas