Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MsCluster HA is not HA - what's wrong?

Prokopets
Respected Contributor

MsCluster HA is not HA - what's wrong?

Hi everyone!
I'm building a cluster on 2 dl580g5 servers with 2 fc hba and one EVA4100 + a redundant fabric (2 switches). I tried to check the redundancy by switching off one of the san switches, everything worked fine. I turned it on, waited until it boot up and after approx. five minutes turned off another switch, and both of my servers hang up and i could turn them off only with power button. I checked all san cabling - it was correct (both servers are connected to both switches, and the EVA is connected to both switches, as it's described in "EVA 4100 SAN Starter Kit Quick Installation guide"). I suspect that there's a problem in MPIO (maybe it cannot see another san-path after it came online), but i'm not sure.
Can anyone help me with this problem?
4 REPLIES
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MsCluster HA is not HA - what's wrong?

The EVA active/active full-featured MPIO does also offer a MMC plugin which you can use to verify if all desired paths have been configured by the DSM+MPIO framework.
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Uwe Zessin: can you tell me - should i download it separately or it is already in standard installation?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I don't know if it is included on one of the CDs that are delivered with the EVA4100 starter kit, but you can get it also as a separate download and install.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=421494〈=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=421492&taskId=135
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Uwe Zessin: i've installed the DSM Manager, and noticed, that one of the servers have only two paths for logical driver, that are located on EVA. I've solved this (there was a mistake in host WWWN) and after restart there were four paths - as it should be. But when i tried to repeat my test (powered off the switches, during file copy operation on the EVA volume) i've got the same problem - server hang up. After that, i just tried to change the active path in DSM manager to another one (all of them were available) and got the same result - server hang up.
As i can see, MPIO just cannot switch from one path to another... Can it be because of SP1 is installed? Or, any other ideas? :(