Frequent Advisor

New project planning (Virtual Servers)

We are in a designing phase for implementation of few services like
1) sharepoint
2) norton
3) exchange 2007
4) windows 2003
5) central file storage

50 users, with everyone logging on virtually ie on any desktop.

We don’t want more than 3 hours downtime which is why I think Microsoft Small business Server Premium Edition on the server virtually(virtual server).

We also want compatability and ability to log in thru blackberry or another pda. We also want users to be mobile between computers, ie able to log into any machine and access their desktop and all their files. We also want our branch offices to store and access their data and emails centrally, will VPN be very expensive or do we only need a fast internet connection at the head office and branch offices? What speed is required? We would like our email domain to be hosted in USA; however, can we build exchange on top of that? Will it be difficult for us to maintain our own smtp and will we be able to protect it from hacks? Someone had suggested a firewall device instead of the isa.

We want to then customize our own accounting and inventory software to be located on the server as well and so users would need different levels of access.

We would also like to know if we can have 2 different servers operating on the same machine, ie they just piggy back on the same hardware. For example, ABC have a server that does 1-5(services mentioned above) and another company lets say XYZ also has the same facilities.

I would like to set all this up in a Virtual environment with Server 2003 64 running as Host and sbs running as guest. With running the server virtually it gives the capability of moving server to another system in case the main server is down for any reason. Also this way we can create other virtual machines for remote users.

Other software will need ( we are doing Symantec Norton antivirus and Symantec premium spam and for backup exec for sbs)

Suggestions are welcome

Thanx,
Raheel
7 REPLIES
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Re: New project planning (Virtual Servers)

Are you going to do this with VmWare or MS Virtual Machine?
MUHAMMAD RAHEEL LODHI_1
Frequent Advisor

I think we would go for Microsoft Virtual Server, or do you suggest something else and why??
MUHAMMAD RAHEEL LODHI_1
Frequent Advisor

what do you guys think would be better in this situation and what would be the solution, how can i make it done...?
the servers would most likely to be DL380G5
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Raheel,

For more obvious reasons, I would personally would recommend VMWARE. They are the pioneers in the virtualisation domain. Microsoft's Products is new, & as any new products, we will encounter many NEW issues. I will not bet my money on TRYING something new, rather I will go for Established business which has been proved to be successful.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/vmware/vmworld-perfect-partners.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Also, once you expand business you would add new servers... blades perhaps.... so check future compatibility...
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/505363-0-0-0-121.html

Regards.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

I personally would not virtualize a domain controller or an Exchange server. However, if you do, go with VMware -- it has the industry reputation and is installed at places like HP and IBM.

Fortunately, both have free downloads of their basic products so you can try them out and decide for yourself.
MUHAMMAD RAHEEL LODHI_1
Frequent Advisor

ok fine, we will going to try VMWare but please do let me know what version would be most appropriate.

Some other queries in my mind still need some suggestions...

"We also want compatability and ability to log in thru blackberry or another pda. We also want users to be mobile between computers, ie able to log into any machine and access their desktop and all their files. We also want our branch offices to store and access their data and emails centrally, will VPN be very expensive or do we only need a fast internet connection at the head office and branch offices? What speed is required? We would like our email domain to be hosted in USA; however, can we build exchange on top of that? Will it be difficult for us to maintain our own smtp and will we be able to protect it from hacks??"
MUHAMMAD RAHEEL LODHI_1
Frequent Advisor

do also let me know what proper steps should i make before implementing this in our envoironment. would it be better to make WINDOWS Server 2003 64 bit as host and SBS server as guest..?? and would this be easy for us to move virtual server in case of any disaster and one thing more how many virtual servers required.... ?