Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pavilion zv5000z Support

Dominic_13
Occasional Contributor

Pavilion zv5000z Support

Hi,

I've loaded the XP Pro 64-bit beta onto my zv5000z (AMD64) and I'm missing drivers for the Broadcom Wireless NIC, MaxPerformance 802.11g, HP Bluetooth and SoundMAX Audio.

The SoundMAX driver on hp.com for x64 desktops doesn't install on the Pavilion zv5000z out of the box but can be made to work.

The biggest issue is the lack of Broadcom drivers for the wireless LAN. Will HP be providing drivers shortly?

Hopefully this is the right forum for these questions :-)

Cheers,
Dominic
9 REPLIES
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: Pavilion zv5000z Support

Hi Dominic,
I guess you can:
for NVIDA video driver click here:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
for ATI Driver:
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeon-xp64.html?type=xp64&prodType=graphic∏=productsXP64driver&submit.x=17&submit.y=
for realtek NIC card you could see here
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?software=True&compamodel=RTL8101L

HTH
Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Dominic:

I would install a NIC with 64-bit driver until Broadcom makes one. It could be a very long wait otherwise.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Thomas_168
Advisor

This forum is specifically setup to answer questions regarding Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems server operating system.

Please use this forum to ask questions regarding Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems server operating system only.

Though the Integration Note white paper is not yet published, we expect it to be published within a week or so, it will list the hp ProLiant servers supported with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems. The zv5000 is not a ProLiant server we will provide support for with this server operating systems.
Philip Doragh
Trusted Contributor

Beyond needing the drivers to support the 64bit kernel, the BIOS, especially its ACPI implementation need to be updated to support the 64bit kernel. This is especially important in the power management area of the system where there is a lot of cross talk between the BIOS and the operating system. At this time, HP does not have any plans to make the necessary updates to the zv5000 to have it support 64bit operating system editions. That being said, HP understands that 64bit operating system support is a request/requirement from our customers which purchase the AMD based notebooks with 64bit capability.
Ten Ox
Occasional Visitor

The bios issue is important for pavilion users in that the laptop does not seem to recover from either sleep or hibernate states. Recovery seems to proceed apace, yet the mouse (USB, external) and monitor, builtin, do not return to active states.

HP's lack of support for 64 bit software systems on 64 bit hardware is a bit of a scandal. It seems like the 64 bit hardware architecture is solely a marketing ploy to HP. Tsk, tsk. Stuff like that has a way of turning around and biting a vendor on the A**....

/ts
"Problem exists between keyboard and chair...." BOFH
Dominic_13
Occasional Contributor

Scandal is putting it mildly. The whole purpose of buying an AMD64 chip was because it was capable of running 64-bit software. HP can't be serious about not supporting this...otherwise what was the point of selling it in the first place...dupe the consumer out of their money? Is that it? Is HP really that shallow??
David Donaldson_2
Occasional Visitor

Dominic,
I have a Pavilion Zv5410us. My wireless loads automatically with what is included with the Windows XP 64-bit installation. The only drivers I really was missing were the modem and sound drivers. Well one of these was a pretty easy fix.
Even though ZV5000 series seems to use SoundMax audio it uses the Nvidia nforce3 150 series mainboard. If you want sound it is very simple. Just go to http://www.nvidia.com and choose the Platform / nforce drivers then choose Unified Driver and then the 64 bit edition. Download and install that. Reboot and you will have sound.

David

Ryan Pertusio
Occasional Visitor

David,
Did you install the recent RC1 of XP (64-bit edition)?

At the time of Dominic's original post, there wer no drivers built into the XP Pro 64-bit beta.

- Ryan
Jonesmb
Occasional Visitor

Odd, I also have a ZV5410US, and the broadcom drivers for the wireless doesnt work for me. any suggestions?

And my over all issue is, my employer requires me to run Windows Server 2k3 on my pc , (damn paranoid IT Techs) , so I would like the ability to run the 64bit version. But, alais , HP Drops the ball on that.