Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RX 5670 installation

Bona_1
Frequent Advisor

RX 5670 installation

Hiya all,
has anyone ever installed Windows on one of these servers? I have a customer who wants to install windows for Itanium on an RX5670. I have worked at length on one of the bigger servers (RX8620, Superdome), but I installed mainly *IX OSes. I wonder if anyone cd give me some hints on how to install windows. To the best of my knowledge, these servers don't have a graphical interface (or do they?) so installing windows will be a bit tricky. Please assist.
Bona
4 REPLIES
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: RX 5670 installation

Hi Bona,
cam this help you?
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=684394

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
John Jarman
Occasional Visitor

Bona,
Yes. Windows Server 2003, 64-bit Enterprise Edition runs great on the HP Integrity Server rx5670.
The best way to start is from the HP web site where you can download the .iso image of the HP Smart Setup Media which will give you everything you need to assist with a Windows installation (drivers, setup guide and other documentation, utilities, tools, manageability agents, etc.

The web site also allows you to download individual drivers and documentation if you don't have a CD burner. Good luck

www.hp.com/support/itaniumservers
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Bona,
actually windows 64 bit cannot run on Itanium.
See here http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=687671

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti

Hi Bona,

yes you can install windows on the rx5670. But you need a windows version especially made for itanium-processors. And you need for better and easier installation a graphic card (PCI).

You can't use the "normal" Windows.

I prefer the "Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition for IA64" on the rx5670.
And those Enterprise Servers have got a graphical interface - its windows. :-)

Greetings from germany,
Alexander