Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Extended Systems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Windows Server 2003 x64 Std Ed on BL20p G3.

Unable to install Windows Server 2003 x64 Std Ed on BL20p G3.

I am unable to install Windows Server 2003 x86 Standard Edition on BL20p G3.
I have upgraded the firmware with cp005366.exe, cp005244.exe, and cp005377.exe.
I am using Smart Array 6x Controller Driver cp004687.exe (5.12.0.64).
The error I get is:

The device associated with following device driver will not work correctly on this computer: \startdss.sys.
The device driver is not compatible with the x64-based version of Windows your computer is running.
This device driver may be required to complete Windows Setup.
Please contact the device manufacturer to obtain drivers compatible with the x64-based version of Windows.

Please advice
4 REPLIES

Re: Unable to install Windows Server 2003 x64 Std Ed on BL20p G3.

Missed the screenshot.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Thomas:

See this article, particularly Table 6:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00235042/c00235042.pdf

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Thomas_168
Advisor

from our x64 support white paper:
Known issues and workarounds
Table 6 details the known issues with installing Windows Server 2003, x64 Editions on ProLiant servers and provides information about resolving them.
Table 6. Known issues
Issue 1. Not disabling the Virtual Install Disk option as documented causes issues

Description If the Virtual Install Disk option is not disabled as documented in the â Hardware setup and configurationâ section of this document, installation of the Windows Server 2003, x64 Editions operating system may stop during text mode setup and display an error message. The error may safely be ignored, however user input is required to continue the installation. This is true even if the installation would otherwise run unattended.
Workaround Follow the instructions in the â Hardware setup and configurationâ section of this document.
Solution 64-bit drivers will be included on the Virtual Install Disk in future ROM releases.

I am looking for the correct link to the white paper for you. I post that when
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Thomas:

Apart from your red star and the fact that you work for HP, how is what you've posted different from what I posted 5 days ago. Do you go out of your way to be obnoxious or do you come by it naturally. ;-)

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger