Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to delete trace file

Stanislav Bocinec
Regular Advisor

unable to delete trace file

Hi all,
i have problem with deleting trace file on w2k3 server 64bit. On the node, there is OVO agent running. This agent had traced its process into trace file. I stopped the agent (and all its processes) and the trace file hasn't been modified from that time (also no changes in size). I was logged as an Administrator on this machine, but when I tried to delete this trace file, system displays error,that i can't delete this file,because it's being used by another program or don't have rights to delete it. I have no idea how to delete this file. I tried to download some utitlity to list open files, but i couldn't run any of downloaded apps because of non-compatibility with my 64 bit architecture. (utility: filemon.exe,filemon64.exe,filehandle.exe fro sysinternals.com).
So if you have any idea how to help me, let me know,
thx in advance,
Stanley
4 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: unable to delete trace file

I recently had a similar problem. By pressing the delete file, I get the error that the file was busy, by pressing shift delete, the file was removed (wihtout sending to the recycle bin).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Stanislav Bocinec
Regular Advisor

Thx u for your reply,
but i always use shift+delete,but it displays the same error.
S.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Even if you are administrator, try taking the ownership of the file, then delete the file.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Giulio Soleni
Regular Advisor

did u try Process Explorer?
Since it was acquired by Microsoft it should work even into a 64bit environment:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

HTH
--
Giulio