New Discussion юеВ

Re: C drive partition is running out of space

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chui Kock You_1
Frequent Advisor

C drive partition is running out of space

Hi,

I got 2 hdd running on hardware raid 1. My C drive partition has 30GB space and running out of space. I have optimized cleaning up the drive but still not enough, 300MB left.My D drive partition has 40GB and got lot of space. My plan is to add additional 2 HDD and create new array, I can't add to existing array as it is configured to RAID 1 and partition to 2 drives. I want your advise of what would be the best approach to extend the C drive partition. Here are some options in my mind:

Option 1
- Would it be possible to user diskpart to shrink the D drive (plenty of space) to create unallocated space and extend the c drive? Can you provide a steps or article to read?

Option 2
- Create a new array (2 new HDD) and configured as RAID 1. Move the D drive to new array and extend the C drive partition. Can this be done using deskpart?

Option 3
- Using third party partition software. This is the least option I would go due to financial constraint but I if ever what would be the best software to use?

Thanks in advance for the advise.
Chui
7 REPLIES 7
Maxim Revutskiy
Valued Contributor
Solution

First of all, i'll suggest you to disconnect one of HD from your RAID, so you'll have nice backup to restore if something goes wrong.

Option 1 or 2 besides on how much space you'll need on drive C: in future, and if any important software installed on drive d:

for resizing you could try to use opensource. For expample Ubuntu LiveCD and gparted. Thats worked for me on Windows XP.

Good luck
Rune J. Winje
Honored Contributor

Option 1: No Diskpart cannot shrink partitions.

Option 2: Possible except Diskpart is not able to extend the system partition. The workaround for that is to boot from a NTFS boot floppy/CD/USB and run Diskpart when the system partition (C) is not used by the operating system.

Option 3:
Third party products like those from Acronis does a good job of either resizing existing partitions or cloning a partition to a new disk and resizing it at the same time.

Option 4: Backup and restore to new C and D disks. Downtime can be minimized by restoring a point in time copy and then just before server is shutting down do a differential backup or sync latest data to the new disks with robocopy. When everything is working fine reuse the old disks as array members or new data disk(s).

Cheers,
Rune
Chui Kock You_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Maxim,

Option 1 & 2, i need to expand my c drive from 30GB to 100GB after i add in additional 2 unit of 72GB HDD and configure with new array. Currently my d drive running on oracle application.

Q1. Can i merge the new array with the existing array.

Hardware configuration.
Model: HP Proliant DL380G5 server.
Controller card: HP Smart Array P400
Operating System: Microsoft Window Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Regards
Chui
Chui Kock You_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Maxim,

Any update on the joining between existing array into new array.

Regards
Chui
Maxim Revutskiy
Valued Contributor

Hi, i'm not sure if it supported by P400, but after adding new hardware to new raid you could try to live migration from RAID 1 to RAID 1+0. After that you'll have 1 array with big unallocated space, so you'll be able to resize partitions as was mentioned above
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

I can offert you a small temp solution, got to C:\windows\ and transfert all you re uninstall files, clean up you're profils in document and setting.

This will help will you can add more space till you add you new space commes along.

Dan
niubi