Windows Server 2003
1752795 Members
6185 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cannot boot from CD - Code 4

Kim Stansel

Cannot boot from CD - Code 4

I am new to HP Proliant ML330 G3 servers. I am trying to install server 2003 and getting this error.

What things should I be checking?
5 REPLIES 5
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot boot from CD - Code 4

Do you have a Smart Array controller installed in this server? If so, has the RAID array been configured?
If you have a SmartArray and it is enabled in the System BIOS, you will see a F8 - Smart Array prompt during POST.

Does the server start to boot from the CD? Or are you seeing this error during POST?
Kim Stansel

Yes this server has a Smart Array 641 Controller - I do not know if it has been configured. What should I be looking for?

The error code Code 4 appears when the server is attempting to boot from CD - I know I have this CD setup as a bootable CD.

Can you give me some info on the configuration of the controller, please.

Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Do you have the HP SmartStart CD? It normally comes with the server...

Boot from the SmartStart CD and it will provide a GUI interface to configure the SmartArray and install the OS.

If you cannot find your SmartStart CD, if can be downloaded from here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-d7672226b6284520b9e292b9bd&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Hope this helps.
Kim Stansel

Thanks so much - that utility allowed me to configure and installing OS now.

I appreciate the info.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Glad that worked out for.

I am guessing the SmartArray was never configured into a Logical Drive before installing the OS. You don't have to have the SmartStart CD to configure the SmartArray, but it helps.
The SmartArray can be configured during POST by pressing F8 when the SmartArray banners.
Note: If your Proliant server has iLO (lights-out management), the first F8 you will see during POST is for the iLO, the 2nd F8 will be for the SmartArray.