108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Roaming Profiles ... SLOOOOOW to save settings and login

SOLVED
Go to solution
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Roaming Profiles ... SLOOOOOW to save settings and login

Hi you guys and gals.. a new one for you!

I'm fiddling around with roaming profiles and am finding the saving of settings and subsequent login inordinately slow compared to normal login/logoff.. even allowing for saving across the network)

Am I missing something in the setup?
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
11 REPLIES 11
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Omar,
do you use folder redirection with roaming profiles?
If yes:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=969780
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Hi Igor
I don't think so.. at least not knowingly! I'd better have a look at what it's all about!!

Thanks
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Omar,

Have you checked the size of the individual profiles. If you're not careful, they can become 100's of MB and these will take a long time to read/write over the network.

Regards,

Gary
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary..

The profile in question is the only one in use (testing) .. BUT.. it is 3.5GB! is that the problem?.. In fact of late, some users are finding they are being kicked out of their apps whn this user logs out!!

Is this likely to be the root cause of the problem? and is therea cure!? (short of giving up on roaming profiles)
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Omar,

A 3.5Gb profile!!!??? This means that every time you log on or off, it has to copy 3.5Gb across the network!!! Yes this is undoubtedly your problem.

The best thing to do is have a look to see what is in the profile. Has my documents been stored in the profile? That's one of the usual culprits. If so, then relocate my documents outside the profile.

Regards,

Gary
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Thanks Gary..

Should I just move the entire MyDocuments bit out of the profile folder on the server and put it in the user files area? Or is there a more "approved way"?
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Thanks a million Gary,
That was very helpful. I've created the folder for documents.. Now the user who is modelling the roaming bit has all this crap in his profile folder at the moment.. will that automatically migrate? or do I have to do something?
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Omar,

All the stuff in the folder should be automatically migrated.

Regards,

Gary