Windows Server 2003
1745827 Members
4114 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SM Bus Controller Driver?

Mwnitz

SM Bus Controller Driver?

I have a Pavilion zv5340us notebook. In the device manager, there is an error next to the SM Bus Controller. It does not have the right driver installed, and has a yellow question mark next to it. I have searched your website and cannot find the right driver. I found the same problem but for other models. Help! Thanks. -Mark Walsh
8 REPLIES 8
ed k.
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark, do you have anti-virus or anti-spyware up to date running on your notebook? Make sure to run them and scan all your harddrives before next step. When you noticed fist this incorrect driver error message, did you or someone do anything special before that?
Best Regards :-) Ed K.
"If you see a house, you're convinced that there is a builder. If you see a garment, you're convinced that there is a tailor. If you see a universe, you are convinced that Someone created it." (R. Akiva)
ed k.
Honored Contributor

Mark, what is OS on your notebook? Thanks :-) Ed K.
"If you see a house, you're convinced that there is a builder. If you see a garment, you're convinced that there is a tailor. If you see a universe, you are convinced that Someone created it." (R. Akiva)
Mwnitz

Next post --> I am running Windows XP. I noticed this error by looking into the device manager and seeing the yellow question mark. The only problem I have is my old version of NERO Burning Rom doesn't even recognize my CD-DVD burning drive. I'm trying to troubleshoot why the software doesn't give me the drive as an option for a recorder. That's when I came across the message. I didn't look before. I went to HP's website and ran a search for all software/driver updates. I executed every one of them. Ughhh... I've attached a powerpoint file that shows you what I see. Thanks. -Mark
Mwnitz

Also, I did not have antivirus software running at hat point, but it was not connected to the internet. I've installed Symantic Antivirus today though. It's still not connected to the net. I'm in the military on my way to Afghanistan in a couple of weeks, so internet connectivity with my personal laptop is very difficult. More ughhhh!
Mwnitz

One more piece of information. My brother loaded up Windows Vista on this machine before he gave it to me. I would rather have Windows XP which the computer label said it was designed for. So I installed a clean copy of Windows XP Professional to get rid of the Vista. I did not have the HP recovery disc as I already shipped off with the military. I had to get HP specific drivers online. Thanks. -Mark
ed k.
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,
Based on screenshots looks like your cdr/dvr driver listed in Device Manager is ok. Check next web page for XP drivers:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=434599〈=en
Try to install/test InterVideo WinDVD Creator from that web page to check your cdr/dvr.
For SM Bus Controller: try manually remove it in Device Manager and than without reboot >> search/add for new hardware from Control Panel >> Add Hardware. See if your system automatically selects the driver from XP cd or driver from listed above web site.
Best Regards :-) Ed K.
Mwnitz

Ed,

I've got it fixed. After going back and forth with HP tech support, the following e-mail worked. By the way, they were great.

> At this point of time, I suggest you download and
> install compatible
> drivers for SM Bus Controller from the below Web
> site:
>
>
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp26001-26500/sp26362.exe
>
> *** Installation Instructions:
>
> 1. Download the driver package.
> 2. Double-click on the icon for the driver package
> downloaded in step 1,
> and then click NEXT.
> 3. Accept the terms in the HP license agreement, and
> then click NEXT.
> 4. Click OK to continue. The original drivers are
> now stored in the
> C:\HP\Drivers\Chipset folder.
> 5. If Device Manager does not start automatically,
> use the following
> steps. Otherwise go to step 6:
>
> a. Click Start.
> b. Right-click My Computer, and then select
> Properties.
> c. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the
> Device Manager button.
>
> 6. Click the + (plus) sign next to "Other Devices".
> 7. Right-click on "SM Bus Controller" or the device
> you want to update,
> and then select Update Driver.
> 8. Click NEXT to install the software automatically
> 9. Click FINISHED to complete the installation.
>

Thanks again!

-Mark
ed k.
Honored Contributor

Ok Mark, glad you solved that problem. Good luck to you and your friends in the military too. Come back home safe.