5095 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

STARTDSS Unattend failed

Debilloez
Occasional Contributor

STARTDSS Unattend failed

Hello,

When we try to install a DL380G3 server with an unattend process we got this error : \$OEM$\ file startdss.sys could not be loaded error 18. Seems a missing file that we not refer anywhare.

We are able to use SAME process (and response file) on a DL380G2...
Andr├Г┬й
6 REPLIES 6
Debilloez
Occasional Contributor

Re: STARTDSS Unattend failed

We have discovered that on some other DL380G3 we are able to build with same :

unattend, $oem$, textmode etc...

Only diff??rence :

Server where it's a success use a Broadcom boot agent. Other use HP Boot agent (PXE?)

on one of the server we have replaced the systemboard. so we also switch from PXE HP to a PXE Broadcom and now the installtion is OK. Do we have a special series of DL380G3 ?

Andr??
Andr├Г┬й
Buta Harry

good morning,

it may be a problem with the (unknown) new bios option Virtual Install Disk in the Advanced options Menu.
If you disable this, it should be ok!

is there may a description about this feature around?

Harry
Crystal Rawls

Andre,

When installing any edition of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 on a ProLiant server that has an embedded virtual install disk, an error 18 message may be generated when using an UNATTEND.TXT file that includes the OEMPreinstall flag.

The problem occurs because the Windows Server 2003 Installer interacts with the embedded virtual install disk when the OEMPreinstall flag is set in the UNATTEND.TXT file, but no files are specified to be preinstalled.

In order for this error condition to be triggered, all of the following conditions must be met:

- Installation of Windows Server 2003 (or later) on a server.
-Installation must be performed using an UNATTEND.TXT script.
- Installation must be CD-ROM or Floppy Disk-based.
- The OEMPreinstall flag must be set in the UNATTEND.TXT file.
- The UNATTEND.TXT file must NOT specify any files to be preinstalled.
- The server must have an active virtual install disk.

Note: Installations performed using SmartStart, Rapid Deployment Pack, PXE/Network or "Disk Image" (for example, the operating system image is copied to the hard drive) are not affected.

Workaround:

To work around this problem, use one of the following methods:

1. Preferred method:

If the OEMPreinstall flag is set to Yes in the UNATTEND.TXT file, set the DisableVirtualOemDevices flag to "Yes" in the [UNATTENDED] section of the UNATTEND.TXT file, as shown in the following example:

[UNATTENDED]

DisableVirtualOemDevices=Yes

2. Other methods:

Avoid setting the OEMPreinstall flag to Yes in the UNATTEND.TXT file if files are not specified to be preinstalled.

OR

Disable the virtual install disk in the advanced options of the ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU) for the affected server.

Thanks,
Crystal
Iain Balmer
Occasional Advisor

I had the same problem, ie the 'startdss.sys' error message. It was a DL380G4, and I was using RDP to do a scripted build of the server as it was our first one in.

I added the 'DisableVirtualOEMDevices=Yes' line in and it no longers shows up that error. It does now however, crash at the Windows Server 2003 Bootup screen straight after rebooting after the textmode part of the install. I can only presume its moved the problem along....

The scripted build has worked on DL380's, DL360's, DL320's, ML370's, BL20p's, BL30p's, and a few others. Its just this one thats crashing. I could install via SmartStart, but its just not as fun, is it ? ;-)

Any1 got any suggestions ?
Erik_60

I am having the same issue with the B.S.O.D
Once I disable virtual disk the setup continues then BSOD's when it tries to start windows. Any one else have a fix for this. THis is on a proliant DL380 G4
Martin Hosp
Occasional Advisor

Hi!

The startdss.sys can be added to the RAID-driver, so it won├В┬┤t show up again.

The Bluescreen in the first startup of 2003 is because of a RAID - driver that uses a DLL Windows cannot handle this in initial PNP Install.

I have found now a Solution for theese 2 Problems...

My Unattended Installation now works out.

see
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/ciss/doLogin.do?TargetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fforums1.itrc.hp.com%2Fservice%2Fforums%2Fquestionanswer.do%3Fadmit%3D716493758%2B1107761135702%2B28353475%26threadId%3D728971