Windows Server 2003
1754016 Members
7581 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 'Shut Down' just restarts server...??

Johnyb

'Shut Down' just restarts server...??

ML370 / Windows server 2003

How do I get this machine to shut down? When I select it, it simply shuts down windows and reboots.

I dont know how to get into the bios (is this where it could be set?)
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Paul Slijkhuis
Valued Contributor

It seems you are restricted by a Group Policy setting. Maybe a 3rd party software program is causing this.

I recommend you just press the button. This will prompt you with the BIOS settings for sure, although you suffer from a software error.

- Paul
IT Architect, contractor
Johnyb

Iam sorry, maybe I did not explain fully.

Iam trying to physical power down the machine, however when I pick 'Start' 'Power down computer' all the services eventualy stop, but instead of powering down... It simply restarts the machine, therefore loads windows 2003 server again.

I dont know how to get into the bios on this machine (have tried f9 f10 at boot up) although there is some info on using the smartstart CD, which does not work for me.

Anyhelp would be appreciated

Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

it's generally safe to power off the machine before the OS loads, i.e. while the memory test is running.

usually this is an issue with a not-totally-compliant ACPI method. if you want to do "hands off" shutdowns, you'll need to flash your bios to be totally ACPI compliant.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Johnyb

The bios is flashed to the latest version available from HP downloads website, but still dont know how to access the BIOS during startup.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Press the F9 key during power up.

From HP "press the F9 key during power up when prompted in the upper right corner of the screen."

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
tony philip devassy

i have the same issue
dl 580 g4
tried all possible steps no go
same problem in same mode.
windows 2003 ent sp2 installed.
window event view system log 4307-nbt.
only on one server not on another.
Same problem with two servers.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316836/en-us
checked the article in microsoft
hp insight diagnostics passed.
system insight diagnostics passed.
nic teaming not configured.
cleared nvram
set date and time.
set the boot controller order.no go
stop error 0x0000007e. while restarting
downloading the firmware maintainance cd update the firmware.
the link
http://tinyurl.com/2se7bz
will check out if that works
can you suggest any other solutions
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

I would try going into System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings and uncheck Automatically Restart. This should force the system to STOP on error. Then post the STOP Error information, if a STOP occurs during Shutdown. It should look like "TEXT 0xnnnnnnnn (0xnnnnnnnn, 0xnnnnnnnn, 0xnnnnnnnn, 0xnnnnnnnn)" where the n's represent hex characters (0-9 and A,B,C,D,E,F).

Last poster: You're not REALLY running SP2 are you? I assume you mean R2. I'm just curious, it's not a critical point.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
tony philip devassy

ya i am running service pack 2
JonJ_1

Did anyone get a solution to this. I am having this issue and it appears to be related to NIC teaming.