1753770 Members
4984 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Source: HPDAT Error ID: 11

Scott Nunweiler
Occasional Advisor

Source: HPDAT Error ID: 11

I am recieving many errors from HPDAT saying "the driver detected a controller error on \device\tape0". What exactly is causing this and how do I fix this? Any help is appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Georg Tresselt
Honored Contributor

Re: Source: HPDAT Error ID: 11

Maybe, you should have a look at this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default. aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;Q314093
http://www.tresselt.eu
Ron Freswick
Frequent Advisor

you didn't say what kind of dat drive you have, or the controller. This could be serveral different things. If you are useing something besides the microsoft backup, ie:tapeware or veritas, you have to disable both the tape drive in device manager, and removable storage in services. you need to do this as most backup programs use their own drivers, and Microsofts will conflict, thus causing the error.
You might also have a controller problem, HP recommends that the tape drive is allways on it's own controller, and I have found this to be true.
Also depending on your drive cable you may have to turn term pwr off or on. Most HP servers internal scsi cables are terminated allready, so term pwr would not be enabled.
Alessandro_57

Hi all,
I'm having a similar problem on three new different sites all of them with this configuration:
-tape:C5716A(DAT40x6 autoloader) fw:H910 I did use the latest windows 2003 driver (hptapedrvs.exe)
-SCSI adapter: 268351-B21 with w2003 driver v1.10.01.00 (from SmartStart7.10)
-Proliant server is a DL380G3, operating system windows enterprise 2003, backup software NTBackup.
I get event id 11 4mmdat The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Tape0 and event id 15 symmpi The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi1, is not ready for access yet.I get these errors only if I have to use a dat tape that is not already loaded, I mean if I have to load (by software)a tape from magazine I get errors If I manually load the tape I have no error.In every case backup doesn't abort and seems works correctly.It sounds like a problem between the SCSI controller and the changer, I checked switch settings on C5713A and they are in default positions and should be ok for Proliant.May be something on SCSI adapter settings?Any help is appreciated.