New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unknown user name or bad password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lai Siew Yuen
Frequent Advisor

Unknown user name or bad password

Hi,
I used to map drive to another Windows 2000 server using "net use \\servername ..." and do not encounter any problem. However when I run the same command on a Windows 2003 server, I always encounter "system error 1326 has occurred. Logon failure: Unknown user name or bad password." I am very sure that the user id & password is correct as I'm able to login locally or via terminal service. Can anyone advice on this? Or how should I map drive in Windows 2003?
Many thanks in advance!!
8 REPLIES 8
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
Probably you use command
net use \\servername \user:username
It will work on windows 2000 and not on windows 2003
The right syntax is
net use \\servername /user:username

Slash make sense.
Lai Siew Yuen
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
I'm sure the syntax is correct. It has even lock out the a/c after a single attempt.
Thanks ...
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

hi,

Can u access that computer, with the same account, but by remote desktop????

Lai Siew Yuen
Frequent Advisor

Yes. I can access the same computer (using net use) with the same a/c. But not with another.
In short, node A can access node A and B. But not from node B to A.
Thanks ...
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

check the Group policy or local policy, depending on your network, and see if the "Network Access: sharing and security model for local accounts" police is set to classic.

if that policy is set in it's default, witch is Guest only, you wont be able to access the computer with net use.

hope this helps,
regards,
hugo tigre
Gfuss
Trusted Contributor

For a quick authentication test (without command prompt/mapping a drive) just try to browse to the share using the 'Run' box. Click on Start and then 'Run' (or Windows-key 'R') and enter the UNC path to the share. For example, you would enter \\server01\myshare. If your current default credentials do not match (or your current account doesn't have access rights), you'll be prompted to enter some credentials via an input box.

If you cannot access the share in this way, there is something not configured correctly. You should also be aware that there are a lot more security 'features' turned on by default in Windows 2k3 vs. 2k. Be sure to check both the share perms as well as NTFS perms on the share you are connecting to and understand how they affect each other.
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Are you seeing any related errors or warnings in the System or Application Event Logs?

Lai Siew Yuen
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Thank you for all of your replies. Here is the outcome:
1)'Network Access: Sharing & Security model..' was all along set to "classic" in both nodes.
2) When I do a UNC mapping, it did prompt me for user id & password. However when I type in the correct credential, it just tell me 'Logon Unseccessful". I have tried with 2 admin privilege a/c and both has the same o/p.
3) The security event log recorded a failure audit for each login attempt.
Many thanks ...