Occasional Contributor

Windows2003 Service Pack2 Problem

Model - DL580G4

Windows 2003 R1 with sp1
-> No Problem

Upgrade Windows 2003 sp2
-> Unable to join the domain server.
Can not connect any other website.

Remove the Windows 2003 sp2(add and remove program)
-> No Problem

Can anyone help me?
6 REPLIES 6
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

Re: Windows2003 Service Pack2 Problem

Could or did you apply a PSP pack after SP2?
Please Try PSP 7.80 after and preferrably before upgrading to SP2.

And please provide more details eg: event viewer.
Jim Mulvey

I had the same problem. Please try going to the NIC and disabling Receive Side Scaling. I'll bet it works after that.
MattyJ

I have exactly the same issue on a DL580 G4.

Server (W2k3 Standard SP1) is working fine prior to installation of Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Once SP2 is installed, the server is unable to authenticate to any domain controllers. It is pingable, and the firewall is turned off via domain group policy.

Removing the service pack causes the server to function perfectly normally again.

Server is running latest firmware and support pack (7.8).

Have not yet tried turning off the RSS as described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927695.

That will be the next thing to try.

Attached are Netdiag logs from the server when working, and when not working correctly. Also a dump of the event log after the SP2 installation and after SP2 is removed.

You can see that the NETLOGON service is failing, which causes hell with the rest of the services trying to start using domain accounts!

The server is configured to use 2 NICs - 1 connected to the Corporate network with domain controllers, workstations etc. The second is connected to a VLAN for backup purposes only.

I have tried disabling this NIC, but it makes no difference.

Interestingly we have another DL580 G$ which does NOT have the problem, despite running older firmware and support pack (7.7). They are not quite the same spec. The server without the issue is a single processor only. The server with the problem is running 4 dual-core hypre-threaded chips.

Any advice is appreciated.
MattyJ

I can confirm that making the change to RSS as specified in the Microsoft Technote DID correct the problem.

This despite none of the criteria sitting my server. It was just a standard W2k3 SP1 server running MSSQL and a GIS application. None of the qualifying criteria that MS specify in the technote.

Regardless it did fix the problem. One note of caution though - make the registry change AFTER applying the service pack, but before rebooting it. I did it the other way around, and the SP2 install set the registry key that I had created to '1' instead of the original value of '0'. Consequently on the next restart, the server still had the problem. On the next restart it was fine, once I had changed the value back to '0'.

hjjeon
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply...
Really Really Thank you.
vitorsilva

Guys, i have the same problem, and i already disable the RSS but i got some instability in my server. So, some one have another solution? I already tested with STD x64 and ENT x64, always when i install SP2, i lost the connection like other.