Windows Server 2003
1753522 Members
10428 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dc7600, Windows Server 2003 R2 2k3 & Audio

JeffMe1

dc7600, Windows Server 2003 R2 2k3 & Audio

Has anyone been able to get their audio working in Windows Server 2003 R2 running on a dc7600?

I have tried using the XP SP1 and SP2 UAA drivers on the hp site, but they won't work. I've also looked at the Microsoft KB articles 888111 and 901105, but they didn't seem to help.

Any help is most appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Re: dc7600, Windows Server 2003 R2 2k3 & Audio

Is there a particular reason you are running Server 2003 on a desktop?

In my experience it is very hit and miss and you are bound to run into driver issues at some point or another. Don't take for granted that XP drivers will work in 2003!

If you absolutely need to run server on a desktop you are far better off running it up as a virtual machine - you can download a free version of VMWare Server from their website.

Of course there will be a performance hit but that is the price you will have to pay for running a Server OS on desktop hardware...
JeffMe1

Hi Joel -

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, there are reasons for running the Server product on a desktop machine. In fact, there are a variety... I need to get some people familiar with setting up and working with IIS 6 without requiring an actual server-sized and priced piece of infrastructure. If I want to take advantage of any CBT that includes audio or VOIP applications on the same box, I'm a little out of luck.

I have considered VMware, and that's the route I'll probably take, but I'd prefer to do this without virtualization if possible.

And, no, trust me, I haven't assumed or expected that Windows XP drivers will work, although that hasn't stopped me from trying.

In fact, I disagree with the assertion that I'm paying a price for running Windows Server on a desktop box... I'm really paying a price for wanting to run Windows Server 2003 on ANY box that depends on UAA for audio.
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Ah yes that would be annoying wouldn't it?

Sorry if I seemed a bit blunt in my post it's just that I've seen too many people try to get away with running Server on a desktop and expect it to work just like that.

There might be merit in using an add-on sound card with drivers that could work in 2003. I hope you know somewhere you can try before you buy! :)

Have a look at this article if you haven't already seen it, there's a few suggestions that may be worthwhile:

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/sound.htm