Operating System - Microsoft
1751693 Members
5008 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: A VirtualWin2003R2 was built under Win2008Core, Drivers for Virtual Session?

ppvald
Occasional Contributor

A VirtualWin2003R2 was built under Win2008Core, Drivers for Virtual Session?

OK, so I have a virtual Windows 2003 R2 built under Windows 2008. The virtual server can't get out to the network. There are no nics defined so I need the drivers. Where can I can I get them?
1 REPLY 1
Robert Walker_8
Valued Contributor

Re: A VirtualWin2003R2 was built under Win2008Core, Drivers for Virtual Session?

Pat,

My understanding is that you will need to install the Hyper-V drivers into your 2003 guest.

From the console of the virtual machine there is an option to install drivers or something - this will activate a self installer on the 2003 guest and install the necessary drivers and thus provide network and improved guest performance.

As for Win Core - I havent bothered with Hyper-V there (just std Win2008 srv). I am less than impressed with Core as it was sold as making administration easier like that of UNIX systems in a cut down manner - but simple aspects such as networking are painful compared to editing a couple of files in UNIX! This part hasnt grown on me at this time!

Also with adding Hyper-V role it required modification of the base server networking. The primary host NIC is detached and a virtual is installed at the host - effectively placing a virtual switch/bridge in place on the Hyper-V host and allowing guests to attach when building guests. The physical network interface is then attached to the switch/bridge - this process may not be handled so well in Core environments - expecting the user to do this aspect via command line as opposed to the gui.

Of course your guest will need to be created with a network interface, you get a selection of private (no external access), none (no nic at all) and effectively bridged using the hosts NIC. If setting up you didnt ask for a NIC then you wont have the necessary configuration to allow for networking.

Robert.